Douglas Gene "Doug" Stanhope (born March 25, 1967) is an American stand-up comedian, actor and author known for his cynical, controversial comedy style and libertarian political views.
Stanhope started a fundraiser for a woman and her family after her home was destroyed by the 2013 Moore tornado on May 20, 2013. The survivor of the tornado, Rebecca Vitsmun, gained international attention by the viral media, as well as criticism by Christians, after declaring herself an atheist on live national television. Stanhope, along with Penn Jillette, Ricky Gervais, and others contributed and raised $125,760 for the woman and her family. Stanhope stated, "If you think it didn't take balls, you've never been to Oklahoma. Saying 'I'm an atheist' in Oklahoma is like screaming jihad at airport security. That took some nuts. I didn't do it because I felt sympathy because she got all her shit destroyed by a tornado. I did it simply to be a prick to her Okie Christian neighbors, hoping they were all eating off their FEMA trucks when someone drove up and presented Rebecca with a giant cardboard check..." "Charity feels good, even when you're doing it as a big 'Fuck You' to Christians who you've pre-judged, and not because you care about someone losing their shit. Realizing you've actually changed an individual's life. It was pretty goddamned thrilling."
Has a Facebook page, a Twitter account, and a website.
- 1998 - The Great White Stanhope
- 1999 - Sicko
- 2000 - Something to Take the Edge Off
- 2001 - ACID Bootleg
- 2002 - Die Laughing
- 2003 - Word of Mouth (DVD only)
- 2004 - Deadbeat Hero
- 2006 - Morbid Obscenity (w/ The Unbookables)
- 2007 - No Refunds
- 2009 - From Across the Street
- 2011 - Oslo: Burning the Bridge to Nowhere
- 2012 - Before Turning the Gun on Himself
- 2013 - Beer Hall Putsch
- 2016 - There's No Place Like Home
Doug Stanhope's work provides examples of:
- Black Comedy: A MASTER of it.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Just look at his house!
- Cringe Comedy: "Rampant on the Internet" from Deadbeat Hero, among many, many other examples.
- Drugs Are Good: A vocal supporter of legalizing all drugs.
- Fan Disservice: It's not a Doug Stanhope show unless he has one of these kind of jokes at least once in his routine.
- Gallows Humor: "Before Turning the Gun on Himself."
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Joe Rogan.
- N-Word Privileges: "If you are offended by any word, in any language, it's probably because your parents were unfit to raise you as a child."
- Rant Comedy: And how!
- Refuge in Audacity: A living, breathing example.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot
- Take That!: Many, but his routine about Dr. Drew Pinsky arguably takes the cake.
- Vulgar Humor
- Writers Suck: Songwriters who repeat lyrics, do, anyway.