Dilys Laye, born Dilys Lay, (11 March 1934 — 13 February 2009), was an English actress best known for her appearances in the Carry On... Series.
Her first appearance on stage was as a boy in The Burning Bush at the age of 14 and a year later she made her first film appearance in Trottie True.
Throughout The '50s, she appeared in many West End revues and was the first Dulcie in The Boy Friend. By the end of the decade, she began appearing in more films. Four days before filming was due to start on Carry On Cruising, Joan Sims fell ill and Laye was cast at short notice to fill the role of Flo Castle, and would return to the Carry On... Series a further three times.
In 2006 she was diagnosed with cancer, but continued to make appearances on stage and TV.
She died from lung cancer at the age of 74, living six months longer than she was predicted to.
Works on TV Tropes she appeared in:
- The Belles of St. Trinian's (1954) — Sixth Former (Uncredited Role)
- Blue Murder at St. Trinian's (1957) — Bridget Strong
- Carry On Cruising (1962) — Flo Castle
- Carry On Spying (1964) — Lila
- A Countess from Hong Kong (1967) — Saleswoman
- Carry On Doctor (1967) — Mavis Winkle
- Carry On Camping (1969) — Anthea Meeks
- Alice in Wonderland (1999) — Governess
- Campion, 2 episodesshow list (1989) — Poppy Burridge
- EastEnders, 19 episodes (1994-95) — Maxine Palmer
- Coronation Street, 4 episodes (2000-01) — Isabel Stephens
- Holby City, 2 episodes:
- "First Impressions" (2000) — Eloise Sanderson
- "Secrets and Lies (2002) — Maureen Newton
- Doctors, 3 episodes:
- "Old Wives' Tales" (2001) — Constance
- "Flower Power" (2004) — Aunt Patricia
- "Deceptive Appearances" (2007) — Gwendolyn Harrington
- Midsomer Murders, episode "Market for Murder" (2002) — Vera Hopkins
- The Amazing Mrs Pritchard, 2 episodes (2006) — Queen Elizabeth II