Demetri Evan Martin (born May 25, 1973 in New York City, New York) is an American Post Modern stand-up comedian, director, actor, artist, musician, and writer. His comedy features a blend of jokes, illustrations, animation, and music. He previously appeared on a recurring segment of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart called "Trendspotting," which lampooned youth culture. He starred in his own Comedy Central series, Important Things with Demetri Martin, and has a starring role in Ang Lee's film Taking Woodstock and currently voices Ice Bear in Cartoon Network's We Bare Bears.
His work features examples of:
- '60s Hair: Usually sports a Beatles-esque mop top.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs:Demetri Martin: "Pillow Fights, okay. Man vs. woman: Fun. Man vs. man: Gay. Woman vs. woman: Awesome. Man vs. pillow: Crazy. Pillow vs. pillow: Crazy awesome."
- Captain Obvious: A recurring theme in Martin's comedy is the use of unnecessary labels. For example, at the beginning of each episode of Important Things with Demetri Martin, he's usually introduced with a caption reading "Demetri Martin: person." The large pad he frequently uses is always labeled "Large Pad" on the front page. His first comedy special is titled These Are Jokes. His first book is called This Is A Book by Demetri Martin. It's a book. By Demetri Martin.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Maybe not to the extent of his predecessors like Steven Wright, but Demetri has a very offbeat way of looking at life.
- Deadpan Snarker: Heavy emphasis on the deadpan.
- Fun with Palindromes: He wrote a 224-word palindrome for "If I" And a 500-word one for This is a Book.
- Fruit Cart: One chapter in his book is set in the point of view of a cart merchant.
- I Have Many Names: What, Hear, Demetrocles, and Da Mici, among others.
- Logic Bomb: The Parodoxotaur It only exists if you don't believe it exists, but it doesn't exist if you do believe it exists.
- Older Than They Look: Martin looks like he should still be in high school (or the early half of college), but he's actually well into his forties.
- Precision F-Strike: Known to use this at times."I was in a card store, and they had cards that said "Get well soon." [Bleep] that. Get well now.
- Raised Lighter Tribute:"I keep a lighter in my back pocket all the time. I'm not a smoker. I just really like certain songs."
- Something Completely Different: First show: "These Are Jokes", where he simply strums and tells many little gags one after the other. Second show: "If I", an hour-long monologue about palindromes, his stint in law school, and coming to terms with having a lot of useless talents.
- Toilet Humor: Once made a chart of "How Funny I Find Farts By Location."