David Charles Prowse MBE (born July 1, 1935 in Bristol, England) is a retired English bodybuilder, weightlifting athlete, fitness trainer and character actor.
He is best known for physically portraying Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy, helped by his height at the time (6ft7). Due to Prowse's voice not sounding deep or intimidating at all (hear for yourself), Vader's voice was performed by James Earl Jones.
He served as Christopher Reeve's personal trainer to get him into shape for the role of Superman in Superman: The Movie and its sequels, and he was also Cary Elwes' personal trainer for his role as Westley in The Princess Bride.
On a more trivia note, he left a mark in British culture as the first Green Cross Code man, a character aimed at children in road safety ads.
He retired in 2016, citing health problems and old age.
Filmography of note:
- Casino Royale (1967) as Frankenstein's Creation
- A Clockwork Orange (1971) as Julian (Mr. Alexander's bodyguard)
- Vampire Circus (1972) as the Strongman
- Up the Chastity Belt (1973) as Sir Grumbel
- Doctor Who: The Time Monster as The Minotaur
- Jabberwocky (1977) as Red Herring / Black Knights
- Star Wars as Darth Vader
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1981) as the bodyguard of Hotblack Desiato's body.
- Saving Star Wars (2004) As Himself