David Stephen Mitchell (born 12 January 1969) is an English novelist. Best known for his centuries-spanning epic novel, Cloud Atlas.
Mitchell has written the following books:
- Ghostwritten (1999)
- number9dream (2001)
- Cloud Atlas (2004)
- Black Swan Green (2006)
- The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet (2010)
- The Bone Clocks (2014)
- Slade House (2015)
- I Have The Room Above Her (2020)
Tropes found in his works include:
- Continuity Nod
- Doorstopper: Cloud Atlas hardcover clocks around 544 pages and The Bone Clocks stands for 609 pages.
- Gainax Ending
- Genre-Busting: Has covered Adventure, Historical, Cyberpunk, Magic realism, Mystery, Thriller, Screwball comedy, Post-apocalypse, Supernatural, Horror, Dystopia, Romance, Bildungsroman, Fantasy, Coming-of-age and Science-fiction.
- Genre Roulette
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Magical Realism
- Mind Screw
- No Ending
- Postmodernism: Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas is this.
- Ripped from the Headlines: In Ghostwritten, the metro sarin attack is heavily based on the real life terrorist attack in Tokyo, 1995.
- Signature Style
- Title Drop: Mostly indirectly.
- The Verse: Simply known as Mitchellverse.
- Violence Is Disturbing