Daniel Joseph Levy (born August 9, 1983) is a Canadian writer, actor, tv host and producer best known for creating and starring in the television series Schitt's Creek with his father Eugene Levy. Previously, Levy was a host on MTV Canada and was a co-host on the first two seasons of The Great Canadian Baking Show.
Related Tropes & Trivia:
- Actor-Inspired Element: Is a big fan of Mariah Carey, going so far as to making David Rose a superfan of hers as well, and has been thrilled when the singer has tweeted positively about Schitt's Creek.
- Author Avatar: David Rose and Stevie Budd represent various aspects of Levy's own personality.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Runs in the Levy family.
- Creator Worship: Fans of Schitt's Creek follow Dan on social media and credit him with the show's exceptional writing. Fan events he organizes often sell out.
- Copiously Credited Creator: Created and stars in Schitt's Creek with his father, and he also is the Show Runner, writer, producer and sometimes director. He collaborates closely on the costume design with Deb Hanson and meticulously supervises the art direction as well as supervising the publicity for the show.
- Directed by Cast Member: Co-directed Schitt's Creek's Christmas Episode and the Season 5 Finale. Directed the Season 6 premiere by himself.
- The Fashionista: Levy admits he's not as bold in his personal fashion choices as his character, but he still qualifies as The Dandy. His love of fashion has become a key part of how he tells his show's story.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Dan and his father are both known for wearing dramatic eyewear in real life, but the characters they play on Schitt's Creek do not wear glasses, making it easy to distinguish pictures of the real father and son and their fictional counterparts.
- LGBT Fanbase: Levy hasn't been shy about how his own queerness informs his writing, and he early on promoted the show in the LGBT media and treats his queer characters as equal to the straight ones. He's garnered praise for his show's sophisticated portrayal of pansexuality, the way the characters are styled and the absence of homophobia and racism on the show.
- Only So Many Canadian Actors: Not only appeared on Degrassi himself, but casts multiple veterans of the show on Schitts Creek.
- The Perfectionist: Self-describes as one of these.
- Queer Character, Queer Actor: Levy is gay, and he plays pansexual David Rose.
- Real-Life Relative: Not only works with Eugene, but his sister Sarah Levy plays Twyla on Schitt's Creek.
- Showrunner: Is this for Schitt's Creek
- Star-Making Role: David Rose and the infinite gifs in which he features.
- Hosted a popular After Show on MTV about The Hills.
- Written by Cast Member: Writes most of his show's episodes.