Daniel Joseph Levy (born August 9, 1983 in Toronto, Ontario) is a Canadian writer, actor, tv host and producer best known for creating and starring in the television series Schitt's Creek with his father Eugene Levy. Previously, Levy was a host on MTV Canada and was a co-host on the first two seasons of The Great Canadian Baking Show.
For his work on the final season of Schitt's Creek in 2020, Levy became the first person in history to win Emmy Awards for writing, directing, acting, and producing in the same year.
Related Tropes & Trivia:
- Actor-Inspired Element: Is a big fan of Mariah Carey, going so far as to making David Rose a superfan of hers as well, and has been thrilled when the singer has tweeted positively about Schitt's Creek.
- Author Avatar: David Rose and Stevie Budd represent various aspects of Levy's own personality.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Runs in the Levy family.
- Copiously Credited Creator: Created and stars in Schitt's Creek with his father, and he also is the Show Runner, writer, producer and sometimes director. He collaborates closely on the costume design with Deb Hanson and meticulously supervises the art direction as well as supervising the publicity for the show.
- Directed by Cast Member: Co-directed Schitt's Creek's Christmas Episode and the Season 5 Finale with film school friend Andrew Cividino. Directed the Season 6 premiere by himself. Won a 2020 Emmy Award for direction with Cividino for the Series Finale.
- The Fashionista: Levy admits he's not as bold in his personal fashion choices as his character, but he still qualifies as The Dandy. His love of fashion has become a key part of how he tells his show's story.
- Generation Xerox: Dan looks an awful lot like his father.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Dan and his father are both known for wearing dramatic eyewear in real life, but the characters they play on Schitt's Creek do not wear glasses, making it easy to distinguish pictures of the real father and son and their fictional counterparts.
- Only So Many Canadian Actors: Not only appeared on Degrassi himself, but casts multiple veterans of the show on Schitts Creek.
- Old Shame: Pre-Schitt's Creek, he appeared as a villainous stalker in a Lifetime Movie of the Week, an experience which he found cringe-y and terrible. He did, however, use it for inspiration when writing about Moira's career.
- The Perfectionist: Self-describes as one of these.
- Queer Character, Queer Actor: Levy is gay, and he plays pansexual David Rose. He also plays the gay character John in Happiest Season.
- Real-Life Relative: Not only works with Eugene, but his sister Sarah Levy plays Twyla on Schitt's Creek.
- Showrunner: Is this for Schitt's Creek
- Star-Making Role:
- Written by Cast Member: Writes most of his show's episodes. Won a 2020 Emmy Award for writing.