Jacoba Francisca Maria "Cobie" Smulders (born April 3, 1982 in Vancouver, British Columbia) is a Canadian actress best known for playing Robin Scherbatsky on the hit sitcom How I Met Your Mother and S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Maria Hill on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. She also portrayed Wonder Woman in The LEGO Movie, the first actor to do so in a feature film.note
She is married to Saturday Night Live cast member Taran Killam. Coincidentally, they were born in the same year and month, two days apart (Killam was born before Cobie on April 1st). They have two children.
Films with pages on TV Tropes:
- Walking Tall (2004) as Exotic Beauty
- The Slammin' Salmon (2009) as Tara
- Marvel Cinematic Universe as Maria Hill:
- Safe Haven (2013) as Jo
- Delivery Man (2013) as Emma
- The LEGO Movie (2014) as Wonder Woman (voice)
- The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) as Wonder Woman (voice)
- The Intervention (2016) as Ruby
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016) as Susan Turner
- Killing Gunther (2017) as Lisa McCalla
TV series with pages on TV Tropes:
- Special Unit 2 (2002, episode "The Wish") as Zoe
- Jeremiah (2002, episode "Thieves' Honor") as Deborah
- Tru Calling (2003, episode "Brother's Keeper") as Sarah Webb
- Smallville (2004, episode "Bound") as Shannon Bell/Eve Andrews
- Andromeda (2005, two episodes) as Jillian Rhade
- The L Word (2005, four episodes) as Leigh Ostin
- How I Met Your Mother (2005–2014) as Robin Scherbatsky
- A Series of Unfortunate Events (2017) as Mother/Mrs. Quagmire
- Friends from College (2017–2019) as Lisa Turner
- Stumptown (2019–2020) as Dex Parios
- Impeachment: American Crime Story (2021) as Ann Coulter
Tropes associated with Smulders's works:
- Action Girl: Maria Hill obviously, and Wonder Woman, and Dex Parios. Robin Scherbatsky likewise is quite action-oriented, owning a gun and regularly visiting the shooting range. Joss Whedon also joked that she was his first choice to play Wonder Woman when he stepped away from the live action film.
- Actor-Shared Background:
- Subverted. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2007 and doctors ruled she wouldn't be able to have children. This was three years before it was revealed Robin was barren. Smulders later had two children.
- More light-hearted, one episode deals with Robin trying to get dual citizenship. Smulders herself has it, allowing her to work in America and Canada.
- Canada, Eh?: Parodied any time Robin was given typical Canadian things to say. Smulders claims she used to have a stronger accent and it comes out if she's working with other Canadians.
- Contralto of Danger: She's known for her husky voice, which helps with the Action Girl roles.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Had to get in shape almost immediately after giving birth for her role as Maria Hill.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: While filming How I Met Your Mother. The tricks used were less obvious than when co-star Alyson Hannigan became pregnant.
- Playing with Character Type: She plays her role as Maria Hill in the Marvel Cinematic Universe essentially as what Robin Scherbatsky would be like if she worked for a government intelligence agency.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Her characters have this appeal, especially Robin Scherbatsky.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's 5'9" and the roles she plays can use this trope.