Claire Catherine Danes (born April 12, 1979) is an American actress born in Manhattan, New York. She has appeared as Angela Chase in My So-Called Life, as Juliet in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet, as Cosette in Les Misérables, as Yvaine in Stardust, and as the titular Temple Grandin in the HBO television film. She stars as Carrie Mathison in the Showtime series Homeland. For her work, she has received three Emmy Awards and four Golden Globe Awards.
She married Hugh Dancy in 2009.
She appeared in
- Law & Order
- Little Women (1994)
- My So-Called Life
- How to Make an American Quilt
- William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet
- The Rainmaker
- Les Misérables (1998)
- Brokedown Palace
- Princess Mononoke
- The Vagina Monologues
- The Hours
- The Rage in Placid Lake
- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
- The Family Stone
- Me and Orson Welles
- Temple Grandin
- Banned in China: She and her films were banned in Philippines after some comments she made in Variety while promoting Brokedown Palace (which was filmed in the Philippines) were deemed insensitive by the government.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Danes is a natural brunette, but has dyed her hair blonde.
- Fake Brit: Danes has portrayed Brits in Stage Beauty and Stardust respectively.
- Ms. Fanservice: She has appeared nude in some of her roles.
- Persona Non Grata: She was banned from entering the Philippines.
- What Could Have Been: She was up for an unspecified role in Schindler's List but she would have had to move to Poland for several months during the school year and the studio couldnt promise her an on-set teacher so her parents declined. Danes is only a year older than Anna Mucha, so the role may have been the character of Danka Dresner.