Bruno Ganz (March 22, 1941 - February 15, 2019) was a Swiss actor from Zurich.
He was one of the most prominent figures in German language film, theatre and television for about fifty years. He has received much critical acclaim and awards since the seventies, and has worked with renowned filmmakers such as Wim Wenders, Werner Herzog, Éric Rohmer, Théo Angelopoulos, Francis Ford Coppola and Ridley Scott, to name a few.
He was perhaps best known to most contemporary audiences for his intense portrayal of Adolf Hitler in Downfall (Der Untergang), whose epic breakdowns have spawned the hugely memetic Hitler Rants Gag Sub videos.
Works on TV Tropes:
- The American Friend (1977) as Jonathan Zimmerman
- The Boys from Brazil (1978) as Dr. Bruckner
- Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) as Jonathan Harker
- Wings of Desire (1987) as Damiel
- Tatort (episode "Schattenwelt", 1996) as Dr. Thomas Berg (Tom Bombadil)
- The Manchurian Candidate (2004) as Delp
- Downfall (2004) as Adolf Hitler
- The Reader (2008) as Professor Rohl
- The Baader Meinhof Complex (2008) as Horst Herold
- Unknown (2011) as Ernst Jürgen
- Night Train to Lisbon (2013) as Jorge O'Kelly
- The Counselor (2013) as the diamond dealer
- In Order of Disappearance (2014) as "Papa" Popović
- Remember (2015) as Rudy Kurlander #1
- Heidi (2015) as "Alpöhi" (Heidi's Grandfather)
- The House That Jack Built (2018) as Verge
Tropes and Trivia applying to his roles:
- Fake Nationality: He has played more German characters than anything else (due to often being cast in German films), and he hailed from Switzerland.
- What Could Have Been: He turned down the role of Oskar Schindler in Schindler's List.