Brenda Song (born March 27, 1988 in Carmichael, California) is an American actress of Hmong and Thai descent, and one of the Disney Channel's longest serving female stars, having been active since the mid-1990s.
She is best known for playing heiress London Tipton on The Suite Life series. She also starred in Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior and was the girlfriend of Eduardo Saverin (Andrew Garfield) in The Social Network. She also has a recurring role on ABC's Scandal and starred in dads until its cancellation in 2014. She currently plays the role of Anne Boonchuy on the animated Disney series, Amphibia.
Song has also been described as one of "young Hollywoods most promising rising stars" and a "young phenomenon on the rise" by media outlets. TV Guide listed her in its 2008 list of "13 Hottest Young Stars to Watch". Angry Asian Man named her one of the most influential Asians under 30.
She was engaged to Metro Station frontman Trace Cyrus, who is the brother of Miley Cyrus, but they broke up in June 2012. She was also rumored to be pregnant with his baby, but that turned out to be false. In 2011, she appeared in a series of ads promoting healthy living starring First Lady Michelle Obama and some Disney Channel stars. In February 2013, she officially became a Twitterer.
Brenda Song exhibits these tropes:
- Asian Airhead: Is usually typecast as this.
- Badass Adorable: She holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
- Genius Ditz: If she's playing an Asian Airhead, this comes into play sooner or later.
- Mixed Ancestry: She's half-Thai and half-Hmong.
- Ms. Fanservice/Parent Service: Especially with some of London's more skimpy outfits.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Compare her Asian Airhead roles to who she really is.
- Playing Against Type: She played the brainy best friend of one of the main characters in One Hundred Deeds For Eddie Mcdowd, her first notable role.
- Her terrifying turn in The Social Network. Particularly notable in that she was still filming Suite Life on Deck at the time.
- Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior is probably the closest and most we'll ever see to Brenda more or less playing herself instead of yet another London Tipton.
- Her role in the Seth MacFarlane-produced dads (or at least the nature of the show) is decidedly adult.
- Her role as Frida Callisto is decidedly more intelligent then her usual ditzy roles.
- Anne Boonchuy of Amphibia is also more clever than a lot of her characters. That said, she does sometimes jump into situations without thinking and starts off the series with a twisted concept of friendship, but gets better through character development.
- Waif-Fu: As said above, she holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. She also exhibits her fighting skills in an episode of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody and in the DCOM Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior.