Robert William "Bob" Hoskins, Jr. (26 October 1942 — 29 April 2014) was an English actor known for playing Cockneys and gangsters. He appeared in films such as The Long Good Friday (1980), Mona Lisa (1986), Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988), Mermaids (1990), Hook (1991), Super Mario Bros. (1993), Nixon (1995), A Christmas Carol (2009), Neverland (2011), and his final role in Snow White and the Huntsman (2012).
Hoskins was the recipient of the prestigious Prix d'interprétation masculine as well as winning the BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role and Golden Globe Award for Best Actor Motion Picture Drama for his role in Mona Lisa (and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor) and an International Emmy Award for best actor for his appearance on BBC One drama The Street in 2009. And he was Chris Claremont's choice to play Wolverine.
Hoskins was highly regarded by both colleagues, critics and audiences. Colleagues such as Helen Mirren knew him as a down-to-Earth professional while critics recognized his appearances in any production as a bright spot. He retired from acting in 2012 due to the onset of Parkinson's Disease. Hoskins died in 2014 from pneumonia.
Notable Film & TV Credits:
- The Long Good Friday (1980) - Harold Shand
- Pennies from Heaven (1981) - Arthur Parker
- Othello (1981) - Iago
- Pink Floyd The Wall (1982) - Band Manager
- The Cotton Club (1984) - Owney Madden
- Brazil (1985) - Spoor
- Mona Lisa (1986) - George
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) - Eddie Valiant
- Mermaids (1990) - Lou Landsky
- Hook (1991) - Smee
- Super Mario Bros. (1993) the eponymous Mario Mario
- Nixon (1995) - J. Edgar Hoover
- Balto (1995) - Boris the goose.
- The Forgotten Toys (1995) - Teddy
- Rainbow (1996) - Frank (he also directed)
- Spice World (1997) - Himself
- Parting Shots (1998) - Gerd Layton
- Enemy at the Gates (2001) - Nikita Khrushchev
- The Lost World (2001) - Professor Challenger
- Maid in Manhattan (2002) - Lionel Bloch
- Vanity Fair (2004) - Sir Pitt Crawley
- Beyond the Sea (2004) - Charlie Maffia
- Mrs Henderson Presents (2005) as Vivian Van Damm
- Danny the Dog aka Unleashed (2005) - Bart
- Stay (2005) - Leon
- Son of the Mask (2005) - Odin
- Doomsday (2008) - Bill Nelson
- A Christmas Carol (2009) - Fezziwig and Old Joe
- Neverland (2011) - Smee
- Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) - Muir
Tropes applying to him include:
- Acrofatic: A former acrobat, Hoskins was noted for doing many of his own stunts.
- Fake American: Many of his most famous roles are as Americans, but he was a full-blooded Cockney.
- Method Acting: Got so into imagining his costars in Who Framed Roger Rabbit that he halucinated cartoon rabbits and weasels in his daily life for months afterwards.