Benoît Poelvoorde (born September 22, 1964 in Namur) is a Belgian actor.
Coming from the francophone region of Wallonia, he was noticed thanks to the role of a wacky Serial Killer he played in the 1992 independent Black Comedy Mockumentary film Man Bites Dog (C'est arrivé près de chez vous). Further works on French television and cinema cemented his prominence in the European francophone film and TV industry.
Since 1997, he has been regularly cast in main roles in mainstream French films, mostly comedies.
Works with pages on TV Tropes:
- Man Bites Dog (1992)
- Les Randonneurs (1997)
- The Carriers Are Waiting (1999)
- Le Boulet (2002)
- Asterix at the Olympic Games (2008)
- Dumas (2010)
- My Worst Nightmare (2011)
- The Brand New Testament (2015)
- Keep An Eye Out (2018)
- Sink or Swim (2018)
Tropes in his works:
- Fake Nationality: He has played many French characters due to often working in the French movie industry, and he's Belgian. His accent is noticeable sometimes.
- Jerkass: This defines most of his film roles.
- Star-Making Role: He came to be noticed with Man Bites Dog (1992), which received international attention when it was screened at the Cannes Film Festival.