One of the few black guys who specialize in anime voice acting.
John "Beau" Billingslea (born December 21, 1953) is an American actor and voice actor. He is best known as the voice of Jet Black from the popular anime Cowboy Bebop. In addition to voice acting, Billingslea has appeared in many popular TV series as a prolific guest actor. Before he got into acting, he played football at the University of Connecticut.
Much like James Earl Jones and Keith David, his natural, deep pipes often cast him into Scary Black Men and narrators. Though being said, his roles aren't limited to black people and is capable of voicing badasses in general.
He primarily focuses on on-screen acting in recent years, usually in recurring or guest-starring roles, but occasionally does some union voice work in anime with Studiopolis and Bang Zoom! Entertainment.
Notable roles by Beau Billingslea:
- Argento Soma: Michael Heartland
- Cowboy Bebop: Jet Black
- Cyborg 009: G. Junior/Cyborg 005
- Digimon Adventure: Ogremon
- Digimon Tamers: Musyomon
- Digimon Data Squad: Leopardmon
- DinoZaurs: Dino Mammoth
- Durarara!!: Dogen Awakusu and Lingerin Douglanikov
- Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children: Barret Wallace
- Fist of the North Star: Jackal
- Gankutsuou: Giovanni Bertuccio
- Gungrave: Bear Walken
- Hunter × Hunter (2011 series): Light Nostrade
- Iczer: Narrator
- IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix (microseries): Yammer
- Juushinki Pandora: Cain Ibrahim Hassan
- Last Exile: Godwin (as John Daniels)
- The Legend of Black Heaven: Oji Tanaka (stage name Gabriel). And the Scary Black Man who beats the crap out of Watanabe because he incidentally flipped the middle finger on him.
- Macross Plus: Col. Millard Johnson (as John Billingslea)
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket: Richard Lunland
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory: Colonel Kowen
- Monster: Milan Kolasch (Ep. 62)
- Naruto: Homura, Raikage
- Outlaw Star: Narrator
- Rave Master: Bear/Dearhound
- Reign: The Conqueror: Antigonos
- Re:Zero: Rom
- Rurouni Kenshin: Senkaku (Ep. 36) (as John Billingslea), & Hiruma Gohei
- Saiyuki Gunlock: Gato
- Samurai Champloo: Matsunosuke Shibui (Ep. 1)
- Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie: Dee Jay (as John Hammond)
- Tiger & Bunny: Ben Jackson
- Wolf's Rain: Sea Walrus (Ep. 22)
- Franklin & Bash: Judge James Douglas
- General Hospital: Judge Cole
- Hannah Montana: The Movie: Mayor
- Star Trek Into Darkness: Captain Abbot
- The Blob (1988): Moss Woodley
- Halloween H 20 Twenty Years Later: Detective
- Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War: Marcus Snow (uncredited)
- Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War: Anthony'"Bedivere"'Palmer (uncredited)
- Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed: Grid Core (uncredited)
- Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana: Delsus's father (uncredited)
- BIONICLE: The Game: Toa Onua Nuva
- Breakdown: Nexus
- Death By Degrees: Lukas Hayes (uncredited)
- Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII: Barret Wallace
- Dynasty Tactics 2: Guan Yu, Dian Wei (uncredited)
- Dynasty Warriors (4 to 7): Cao Ren, Dian Wei (uncredited)
- Front Mission 4: Carl Thammond, Hermes Sturges (uncredited)
- Inherit the Earth: Okk
- Kingdom Hearts II: Bo'sun (Undead Pirate A)
- Outlaws: "Buckshot" Bill Morgan
- Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire: Rakeesh Sah Tarna (credited as "Bo Billingsley")
- Radiata Stories: Gerald (uncredited)
- Resident Evil Outbreak File #2: Mark Wilkins, Jim Chapman
- Samurai Warriors: Kenshin Uesugi (uncredited)
- Samurai Warriors: Xtreme Legends: Kenshin Uesugi (uncredited)
- Star Ocean: Till the End of Time: Adray Lasbard, Berial (uncredited)
- Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht: Representative Helmer
- Warriors Orochi: Cao Ren, Dian Wei (uncredited)
Tropes relating to Beau Billingslea:
- Badass Baritone: A lot of the characters he voices have relatively deep voices.
- Large Ham
- The Narrator: He also have a few roles like this as well.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor
- Scary Black Man: Some of his characters, although he isn't limited to black people.
- Token Minority: He's actually one of the very few black people who specialize in English dubs of Japanese anime.