Atsuko Ishida (b. August 9, 1963) is a veteran Japanese Freelance Animator, Anime Character Designer, Illustrator, and Manga Artist from Hiroshima Japan.
Known for her contributions to the Golden Age of Japanese animation hits by providing her warm, tender feminine touch for the rough Action and Mecha genres throughout the 80s and 90s, three of them were Brave Series titles in which she was Animation Supervisor.
Ishidas most famous credits was being the Animation Supervisor (Animation Director, or Animation Inspector in some terminologies,) for The Brave Fighter of Legend Da-Garn, and Chief Character Designer alongside Animation Supervisor for The Brave Express Might Gaine, Brave Police J-Decker, and Magic Knight Rayearth. She was also known as a staple animator for Fist of the North Star, the Ranma ½ series, Rurouni Kenshin, and Kodocha.
Ishida was also famous for her former marriage with renown Animator, Mechanical Designer, and Animation Director Masami Obari, and can be seen on credentials of many works Obari has directed on.
Post Turn of the Millennium, Ishida turned her focus to manga and illustration creation over taking on animation cases. Though she parted ways with Obari in lifestyle, they remained great friends and is seen continuing to aid each other with each of their works.
Notable Credits of Atsuko Ishida:
- Sasuga no Sarutobi (1982, Animation)
- Puraresu Sanshirou (1983, Animation)
- Fist of the North Star (1985, Animation)
- City Hunter (1987, Key Animation. First few episodes only.)
- Lemon Angel Season 2 & 3 (1988, Key Animation)
- Ranma ½ Full 2 Series (1989-1992, Key Animation)
- Record of Lodoss War (1990, Key Animation)
- The Brave Fighter of Legend Da-Garn (1992, Animation Supervisor)
- The Brave Express Might Gaine (1993, Animation Supervisor, Chief Character Designer)
- Brave Police J-Decker (1994, Animation Supervisor, Chief Character Designer)
- Magic Knight Rayearth (1994, Animation Supervisor, Chief Character Designer)
- Rurouni Kenshin (1996-1998, Key Animation)
- Kodocha (1996-1998, Key Animation)
- Martian Successor Nadesico (1996, Title Sequence)
- Key the Metal Idol (1996, Key Animation)
- Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer (1996, Grand Bernard Institute Uniform Designer)
- Virus Buster Serge (1997, Key Animation)