Armando Giovanni Iannucci OBE (born 28 November 1963) is a diminutive Scottish comedian of Italian descent whose playfulness with words and blend of observational neuroses, surrealist whimsy and biting satire has earned him a cult following and numerous plaudits.
Co-produced and co-wrote the award-winning radio news satire On The Hour and its critically acclaimed television adaptation The Day Today. More recently he has co-produced and written the award-winning political satire The Thick of It and developed the American transplant of the show, Veep.
Despite these accomplishments, Iannucci's most popular creation remains hapless TV presenter Alan Partridge, created with comedian Steve Coogan as a minor character in On The Hour and spun off into a number of popular TV series, including Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge, I'm Alan Partridge and Anglian Lives.
Is a close friend and occasional writing partner of fellow British satirist Chris Morris.
He received an OBE in 2012; his response was "I just hope it's not an attempt by the government to stop me because that's not going to happen".
- The Day Today (producer/writer, all episodes, 1994)
- Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge (producer/writer, all episodes, 1994-1995)
- I'm Alan Partridge (director/producer/writer, 1997, 2002)
- The Armando Iannucci Shows (producer/writer/actor/director, 2001)
- The Thick of It (director/producer/writer, 2005-2012)
- Time Trumpet (producer/writer, 2006)
- In the Loop (director/producer/writer, 2009)
- Veep (director/producer/writer, 2012-2019)
- The Death of Stalin (director/writer, 2017)
- The Personal History of David Copperfield (producer/writer/director, 2020)
- Avenue 5 (producer/writer/director)