Ansel Elgort (born born March 14, 1994) is an American actor, singer, DJ, and record producer.
He's best known for portraying Augustus Waters in the the film adaptation of John Green's The Fault in Our Stars opposite Shailene Woodley, with whom he also co-starred in the The Divergent Series as Caleb Prior.
Some of his other film credits include the 2013 Carrie remake, Jason Reitman's Men, Women & Children, and a cameo role in another John Green adaptation, Paper Towns. He's currently slated to star as a young John F. Kennedy in a film about his days in the United States Navy, and Tony in Steven Spielberg's adaptation of West Side Story.
In addition to his acting career, Elgort is also a recording artist, producer, and DJ. He released a number of singles and remixes under the stage name Ansolo, which he's since dropped in favor of his real name for his most recent material.
He's also a trained ballet dancer!
- Carrie (2013) as Tommy Ross
- The Divergent Series (2014 — 2017) as Caleb Prior:
- Divergent (2014)
- The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015)
- The Divergent Series: Allegiant (2016)
- The Divergent Series: Ascendant (2017)
- The Fault in Our Stars (2014) as Augustus Waters
- Men, Women & Children (2014) as Tim Mooney
- Paper Towns (2015) as Mason
- Baby Driver (2017) as Baby
- Mayday 109 (TBD) as John F. Kennedy
- West Side Story (TBD) as Tony
He provides examples of:
- Cool Car: He begged the production crew of Baby Driver to give him one of the Subarus he drove in the film, so at his birthday, he got it◊.
- Dawson Casting: Not in Carrie2013 where he was eighteen, like Tommy. But he has continued to play teens in his twenties.
- Irony as She Is Cast: Plays the Non-Action Guy Caleb in the Divergent films who - even when he does get involved is more of an Action Survivor or Badass Bookworm. He's a trained ballet dancer in real life and the baggy clothes he wears as Caleb hide a toned physique.
- Playing Gertrude: Because Teens Are Short, whenever he stars alongside Shailene Woodley, he plays characters older than her - despite being three years younger than her in real life.
- Star-Making Role: The Fault in Our Stars made him a household name, and attracted a swarm of Estrogen Brigade.
- Those Two Guys: He co-starred opposite Shailene Woodley twice: as her brother in Divergent, and then her love interest in The Fault In Our Stars.