Anna Cooke Kendrick (born August 9, 1985) is an American actress best known for her role as Beca in the Pitch Perfect trilogy (in which she won an award for the soundtrack). She also was nominated for an Oscar for Up in the Air and played Jessica in the Twilight movies.
A native of Maine, she started her career on Broadway at 12, travelling to New York on Greyhound coaches (with only her 14-year-old brother as chaperone since her parents were too busy to drive her) and eventually got herself a Tony Award nominated role in High Society.
With a long background in theater, she is a very capable singer and has been consistently met with praise for her onscreen charisma and acting chops. Also has a very supportive mother who has a habit of aggressively calling distributors in order to get Anna's indie films shown in her hometown - and if she's successful then going with "throngs of friends" to make sure the movie does well.
She wrote her autobigraphical essays that compiled into a book, titled Scrappy Little Nobody. It was published on November 2016.
Her films include:
- Camp - Fritzi Wagner
- Twilight - Jessica Stanley
- Up in the Air - Natalie Keener
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - Stacey Pilgrim
- 50/50 - Katherine McKay
- What to Expect When You're Expecting - Rosie Brennan
- ParaNorman - Courtney Babcock
- End of Watch - Janet
- Pitch Perfect - Beca Mitchell
- Drinking Buddies - Jill
- Rapture Palooza - Lindsey Lewis
- The Voices - Lisa
- Cake (2014) - Nina Collins
- The Last Five Years - Cathy Hiatt
- Into the Woods Cinderella
- Mr. Right - Martha
- Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - Alice
- Trolls - Poppy
- The Accountant - Dana Cummings
- Table 19 - Eloise
- A Simple Favor - Stephanie Smothers
Anna Kendrick and her works provide examples of:
- Adorkable: Her characters tend to be this in most of her movies. Her performances in 50/50 and Up in the Air are the prime examples to the point where she eventually manages to defrost the protagonists by her natural charm.
- Cast the Expert: She got her roles in Musicals because she is a very capable singer. Pitch Perfect, Into the Woods, and Trolls are the big ones.
- Old Shame: Subverted. While she often made fun of her character in Twilight (or herself for that matter), like calling her an idiot, she said that playing a normal girl who constantly talked about normal stuff like boys and gossip in a fantasy movie was a sweet gig. Also, she made more money in it than most of her other movies at that time.None of the other filmmakers I worked with during those years had ever seen Twilight, but the series kept me in room and board while I did their movies for no money. It was like the worlds most ridiculous day job.
- Older Than They Look: Her characters are frequently this, even Lampshaded several times in her movies.
- In 50/50, She's playing a therapist, and one of her patients compares her to Doogie Howser, M.D..
- In Cake (2014), shes playing a character several years older than her actual age, and after finding this discovery, a main female character in the movie expresses her disbelief, saying that she (Kendricks character) looks younger.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: She's tiny, but handles herself surprisingly well in combat without resorting to Waif-Fu.
- In The Accountant, two professional killers enter her apartment, and joke about how they should have brought "the smaller box" to put her in. Then she clocks one guy across the face with a stove grille, retreats to the bathroom and hits him again with the toilet tank lid. Of course if The Accountant hadn't arrived in time she'd have still wound up in that box, but she acquitted herself quite well considering the odds, and definitely avoided being the Damsel.
- In Mr. Right, a professional killer taunts her as the "little turtle" that he can easily crush in order to hurt his opponent. She proceeds to bludgeon him to a pulp.
- Star-Making Role: Her role in Up in the Air gained her recognition and rave reviews from Movie-goers and Movie Critics, and Pitch Perfect propelled her even further towards mainsteam audience.
- "When I'm Gone" Song: Her massive hit single "Cups", aka "When I'm Gone", featured in the soundtrack to Pitch Perfect.