Angela Olive Carter-Pearce (née Stalker; 7 May 1940 16 February 1992) was a British fiction writer and feminist scholar.
Works of Angela Carter:
Tropes in her works include:
- All Psychology Is Freudian: Parodied in The Passion of New Eve.
- Double Standard: Rape, Male on Male: The hero of The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman is repeatedly sodomised by an entire all-male circus troupe until he barely knows who he is. Being a Carter story, this is presented as just another part of the hero's Character Development.
- Grimmification: The Bloody Chamber retells various fairy tales, making them (even) darker.
- Incest Is Relative: A recurring theme in her work.
- Magical Realism
- Purple Prose: Carter is not afraid to show her erudition.
- Wham Line: The last sentence of "Lizzie's Tiger.""What are they Canucks doing with little Lizzie Borden?"
- You Sexy Beast: In the aforementioned Doctor Hoffman, some centaurs get extremely intimate with both the hero and his lover Albertina.