Andrew Clay Silverstein (born September 29, 1957 in New York City, New York), who goes by the Stage Name Andrew "Dice" Clay, is an insult comedian who was popular in the 1980s and '90s, when he was regarded as the Don Rickles of his generation. Nicknamed "The Diceman", Clay is well known for his combination of Vulgar Humor and Refuge in Audacity that was controversially racist, sexist, homophobic and misogynistic, all done in a thick New York accent with his look resembling Greaser Delinquents. OHHHH!!!
Lorne Michaels reluctantly agreed to let Clay host Saturday Night Live in 1990 on a seven-second delay (which Michaels does not like to do, but had to on this and two other SNL episodes hosted by controversial comedians: Sam Kinison when he hosted during the 12th season, and Richard Pryor when he hosted during the first season).
Clay starred in films such as the bomb The Adventures of Ford Fairlane and the stand-up concert film Dice Rules. Later, he tried to soften his image by dropping his "Dice" nickname and appearing in the Short Runner CBS sitcom Bless This House. After re-adopting his vulgar persona, he Adam Wested as himself on a season of Entourage.
EMF used a sample of him yelling "WHAT THE FUCK!" for their hit single "Unbelievable". Ice Cube also sampled one of his punchlines ("Good ol' Mother Goose, remember her?... Yeah, I fucked 'er.") for "Gangsta's Fairytale".
Tropes in his work:
- Alter-Ego Acting:
- An unusually subverted Type 2, to the point where many could not distinguish between the Diceman's real life self (Andrew Clay Silverstein) and his stage persona.
- When meeting with Woody Allen to audition for Blue Jasmine, he said at the outset that he was there as Andrew the person and not "Andrew Dice Clay", the stage comedian.
- Black Comedy: His idea of being un-PC just for the sake of it.
- Card-Carrying Jerkass: Perhaps no comedian embodies this concept better. Clay's greaser persona spouted all manner of sexist, racist, homophobic, misanthropic, and downright nasty banter while on stage, and was absolutely, unrepentantly proud of it.
- Catchphrase: OHHHHHH!!!
- Cluster F-Bomb
- Deconstruction: In Casual Sex, his character is deconstructed, and it turns out he is quite the family man in the end.
- Greaser Delinquents: What the Diceman's look is a throwback to.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Hell-Bent for Leather
- I Banged Your Mom: The Diceman's response to vocalizations from audience members; "Your mother... [beat], [beat], (shrug), yeah, I fucked 'er."
- "Just Joking" Justification: A standard response Clay uses in defense of his stand-up act, claiming it to be "satire". Exactly what he's satirizing or commenting on is anyone's guess.
- Large Ham
- Persona Non Grata: The only person to be banned from MTV.
- Refuge in Audacity/Vulgar Humor: Dice's schtick revolves around being as much of a crude, sexist, foulmouthed pig as he can be.