Kimberly Alexis Bledel (born September 16, 1981 in Houston, Texas) is an American actress and model of Mexican and Argentinian descent. Alexis engaged in community theater when she was 8 years old, at the behest of her mother Nanette as a way to get over her natural shyness.
She first started modeling at the tender age of 14 after being scouted in a local mall. At 18 she was asked if she'd like to audition for some acting parts and landed the role of Lorelai Leigh "Rory" Gilmore in the show Gilmore Girls in her very first audition; probably had something to do with her big blue sparkling eyes. Her portrayal of the character earned her several honors from teen-centric media. After the end of Gilmore Girls, she has concentrated on her film work and restarted her modeling career.
- Gilmore Girls and Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life (2000-2007, 2016)
- Tuck Everlasting: Film debut (2002)
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and its sequel. (2005, 2008)
- Sin City (2005)
- Post Grad (2009)
- ER (as one of the incoming interns in that show's Grand Finale, 2009)
- Mad Men: In the season five episode "Lady Lazarus" (2012), she plays an unhappy housewife Pete Campbell has a one night stand with.note
- Jenny's Wedding (2015)
- The Handmaid's Tale as Emily (2017-Present)
- Ascended Extra:
- Contractual Purity: The role of a prostitute in Sin City was clearly an attempt to break from her squeaky clean Rory Gilmore image.
- Dawson Casting:
- Tuck Everlasting's Winnie Foster is fifteen (though she was twelve in the original book). Alexis was twenty.
- Her character Georgie in Bride and Prejudice is implied to be younger than she was (22 at the time of filming). She's treated like a teenager at least.
- Generally she tends to play younger than she actually is.
- Irony as She Is Cast: Rory Gilmore has limited Spanish and only knows a few conversational phrases. Alexis is fluent in Spanish. Rory likewise loves coffee; Alexis hates it and coke had to substitute for it in scenes.
- Latina Is Brown: Averted completely. You'd likely never guess that she's half-Mexican, half-Argentinian just by looking at her. English is even her second language, as she grew up Spanish-speaking.
- Older Than They Look: She can easily pass for a young woman in her early twenties... even though she's in her late 30s.
- Playing Against Type:
- Romance on the Set:
- Surprisingly Good English: People are shocked that her first language is actually Spanish, because she speaks English so well. She actually learned English in school as opposed to growing up speaking it.
- Weight Woe: Defied. She was told that she had to lose an extra two inches off her hips when she was modelling. Her response?"I have more jobs than I can do. I'm in high school. I can't go to all the trouble of losing the two inches, so I'll pass"
- What Beautiful Eyes!: Her luminous blue eyes have served her well in her various roles. Her eyes are one of the few things in colour in Sin City because the director liked them and insisted.
- What Could Have Been:
- Carey Mulligan dropped out of Violet & Daisy to do Drive instead, so Alexis replaced her.
- She was slated to return for Sin City A Dame to Kill For but did not appear when it finally surfaced.
- There was a petition with over 20,000 signatures to get her cast as Anastasia Steele in Fifty Shades of Grey, complete with a fanmade trailer featuring her. She was also rumored for the role of Leila in the second film that went to Bella Heathcote.