Alexandre Astier (born 16 June 1974 in Lyon) is a French actor, stage comedian, writer, director, producer, voice actor, playwright and composer.
He's best known for creating the Arthurian Legend-inspired comedy series Kaamelott, and for playing the main role in it. He also wrote, directed and played in Kaamelott: Premier Volet, a theatrical film sequel to the series that has been Saved from Development Hell and released in 2021, intending it to be the first installment of a trilogy.
Selected filmography (as actor/voice actor):
- Kaamelott (2004-2009) as King Arthur Pendragon
- Kaamelott: Premier Volet (2021)
- Kaamelott: Deuxième Volet (TBA)
- Kaamelott: Troisième Volet (TBA)
- Asterix at the Olympic Games (2008) as Mordicus
- Hero Corp (2008) as Araignée Man
- LOL (2009) as Alain
- The Adventures of Philibert, Captain Virgin (2011) as Clotindre, Count of Artois
- Adventure Time (2013) as Prince Gumball (French dub)
- What We Do in the Shadows (2014) as Vladislav the Poker (French dub)
- Asterix animated films:
- Mass Effect: Andromeda (2017) as Lieutenant August Bradley (French dub)
Tropes from his works:
- Captain Obvious: One of his one-man shows is centered around Johann Sebastian Bach, inspired by a letter from Bach's wife where she wonders why her husband has been down in the dumps lately, and if maybe it might have something to do with the death of their newborn. Apparently losing 10 out of 20 children makes you a bit depressed, who knew?
- The Comically Serious: One of the main tropes to describe his King Arthur, as well as several of his other roles, in a nutshell.
- Copiously Credited Creator: He produced, wrote, directed, edited and starred in David et Madame Hansen (2012) and Kaamelott: Premier Volet, and also composed the soundtrack for both films.
- He Also Did: He directed and starred in a French ad for World of Warcraft (see here). It was part of the same promotional campaign as that of Mr. T.
- Real-Life Relative: Kaamelott is family business for him in many ways.
- His own parents (who are actors by trade) Lionnel Astier and Joëlle Sevilla play the role of Léodagan and Seli (Arthur's in-laws), while Arthur's mother is played by his mother-in-law and his half-brother plays Arthur's brother-in-law (confused yet?).
- Six out of seven of his children have played in the series and film as well. The seventh was born when he worked on the film's post-production in 2020.
- Surrounded by Idiots: His King Arthur is the Only Sane Man at the court of Kaamelott, a trait that shows up in his other roles (notably in the CGI Asterix movies). The Knights of the Round Table, with the exception of Lancelot, are pretty much all incompetent morons.