Alexander O. Smith is a professional Japanese-to-English translator and founder of translation company Kajiya Productions along with Joseph Reeder. Their official website is here. He frequently collaborates with Square-Enix and met Yasumi Matsuno through there. Outside localisations of video games, he's been involved in translating Japanese novels and various academic work.
He has been involved in the translation of the following:
- Winter Heat
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Chocobo's Dungeon 2
- Front Mission 3
- Vagrant Story
- Parasite Eve 2
- Final Fantasy IX
- Final Fantasy X
- Fire Emblem Elibe
- Final Fantasy X-2
- Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
- Final Fantasy XII
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Tactics Ogre PSP
- Brave Story (both the novel and the New Traveler PSP game)
- ICO, the novel
His translations tend to insert the following:
- Getting "Nightsoil" Past the Radar
- Gratuitous Iambic Pentameter: He is a student of older literature after all.
- Magick: A big proponent of this trope.
- Purple Prose: Goes with being a student of old literature and seeking to emulate their style.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: They're not just spellbooks anymore, they're now grimoires.