A mutant born with the ability of teleportation —and later, dimensional hopping abilities— Blink is notable for being one of very few characters whose alternate universe counterpart is more popular than their "prime" self. Despite being introduced in Earth-616 continuity, the version of Blink from the Age of Apocalypse timeline become more preferred by X-Men fans; as a matter of fact, the original Blink was killed off a mere month after her first appearance. The Blink of Earth-295 was created shortly after, with a more distinctive personality and refined skillset.
The original Blink did return decades later in 2009, during the Necrosha storyline, but the AoA version still remains preferred among many. She'd eventually become a stalwart member of the Exiles, often portrayed as their leader and guide through the multiverse because of her powers.
Though canonically of Bahamnian descent in comics, live-action interpretations of the character have portrayed Blink as being ethnically Asian. She appears as a member of the dystopic X-Men in X-Men: Days of Future Past, portrayed there by Chinese actress Fan Bingbing, while Korean-American Jamie Chung also plays the character in FOX's series The Gifted, where her last name has been changed from "Ferguson" to "Fong" to reflect the difference.
Blink has appeared in:Notable Comics
- Age of Apocalypse (1995)
- Blink (2001)
- Exiles (various runs):
- vol. 1 (2001 — 2008)
- vol. 2 (2009)
- vol. 3 (2018 — present)
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014), portrayed by Fan Bingbing
Blink provides examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Has purple/lavender skin.
- Ascended Extra: Introduced to be a Sacrificial Lamb, she was loved so much that she was brought back: first in Age of Apocalypse, whose Blink gets to survive the Snap Back and become the leader and main character of Exiles. The original Blink returned after Exiles was canceled.
- Bad Present: Where she's from, Charles Xavier was murdered long before he could ever form the X-Men, and Apocalypse woke up early.
- Break the Cutie: Story of her life.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Blink is a master of humbling cosmic beings. She was the one who defeated the reality-devouring Time Eater and later on she and Nocturne managed to overcome three renegade Watchers.
- Evil Twin: Became this to her Age of Apocalypse incarnation following her FaceHeel Turn. Ironically, not only is she the mainstream (albeit less used) version of her character, but she has never even encountered her other universe self as of yet.
- FaceHeel Turn: Blink was seen in the company of Selene. Her apparent death seems to have been retconned. Instead of accidentally killing herself she transported herself to a different location and her mutant power allowed her to arrive intact.
- Facial Markings: Sports them.
- Fish out of Water: She's from one of the most dystopian realities out there, so she's not used to the conventions of Marvel universes. It's also the reason she's put in charge, after the team's disastrous first mission.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Before Generation X was founded, she sacrificed herself to destroy Harvest and was presumed dead until years later...
- Like Parent, Like Spouse: Was raised by blonde, muscular, clawed, bearded badass Sabretooth. Fell in love with blonde, muscular, clawed, bearded badass Mimic.
- Lost in Imitation: The Exiles Blink is so well-known that all adaptations' versions of Blink resemble that one and not this one. That even extends to this one when she's brought Back from the Dead.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Though she doesn't know that, she is a descendant of none other than Apocalypse.
- Monochromatic Eyes: Hers are green.
- Most Common Superpower: Well-endowed.
- Non-Indicative Name: Her name comes from the sound made when she teleports.
- Parental Substitute: Sabretooth, of all people.
- Planar Champion: The Unseen has given her title of Champion (the rest of the Exiles are just her minions in his eyes) as it's her duty as the champion of the multiverses to guard existence from cosmic-level threats.
- Portal Cut: Her power was to "blink" things to shreds in a way that only works in a comic book... thankfully.
- Progressively Prettier: In a roundabout way. In the Phalanx Covenant X-Over that leads to the creation of Generation X, her colors were a bit dingier and her haircut... interesting. Then we meet the cute AOA Blink. When that version moves to Exiles, she basically becomes a pink supermodel with only the facial markings to remind you of Gen-X Blink. When Gen-X Blink returns in Regenesis, she is Exiles Blink with short hair in terms of both design and powers.
- Put on a Bus: She took a leave of absence to recuperate from Mimic's death, among other unpleasant things.
- The Bus Came Back a few issues later due to fan demand, though.
- Sacrificial Lamb: The Earth-616 version was introduced to die, basically.
- Something Completely Different: If you think that her miniseries revolved around the Ragtag Bunch of Misfits fighting against a tyrant in another dimension... well, you are technically right, but not exactly in a way you think.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Spent a lot of her childhood being experimented on by Mr Sinister.
- Teleport Spam: Can weaponize her powers in this way.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Her primary skillset.
- Thinking Up Portals: It was really hard to tell at first what she was doing that made a "bliiiink!" sound effect and resulted in shredded enemies (or non-enemies when it first activated, hence her reluctance to use it.) However, it turns out that this is her true power. In its unrefined state, it's bad news - imagine if, from your waist and above, every molecule in your body was transported a fraction of a centimeter to the left. Now imagine a dozen cuts like that through your body everywhere. Ouch. But Exiles Blink can create portals to any place she can think of, and with external help, even cross dimensions. She can also fling energy bolts that teleport the target where she wishes. Gen-X Blink can now use her powers in this way since her return.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple is her shade.