- America Jr.:
- Their town is no longer part of the United States. When asked if they know what it means, various characters reply that the town now has an international airport, that their Ford Escort is an "exotic import", and that their mother-in-law needs a passport to visit.
- At one point, Ed is told that a 6' fence topped with barbed wire won't help against US military. His solution is that it should be electrified.
- In Astonishing X-Men, Kitty Pryde intentionally missed the point in order to play Deadpan Snarker to Emma Frost:Emma: Three students were missing from my ethics class. Seventeen overall. Logan had to break up two fistfights and a mystical swordfight. And that dreadful Guatemalan crab-boy is at Benetech telling reporters this is every mutant's only chance to avoid burning in everlasting hellfire. This is eating us from the inside out.
Kitty: Oh my God ... you teach ethics?
- In Empire State, Sara tries to illustrate to Jimmy the danger of looking for dates on Craigslist by describing a blind date she met who ended up being grossly overweight. Jimmy identifies with the overweight guy, and concludes that he, too, can meet attractive girls if he words his personal ads on Craigslist just right.
- The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers - Fat Freddy is leaving a theater playing Easy Rider, surrounded by freaks with horrified, sorrowful faces - he's got an eager little smile, thinking "I gotta get me a motorcycle!"
- Gaston Lagaffe once invented an improved form of seat belt. These seat belts were designed to stretch, so someone wearing them can leave their car for a short distance without taking them off to, for example, drop off a letter.
- In the same vein he also designed a highly efficient solar-powered flashlight that had just one minor flaw: it only worked in full daylight.
- He also built an electric wheeled suitcase that could roll along without you having to carry or drag it. The dozens of dozens of of batteries required to power it took up almost all the space save for a toothbrush-sized slot. His friend, who was forced to carry Gaston's other luggage in his own bags, was less than impressed. And by that I mean he punched Gaston in the face and made them switch luggage.
- Sis from Katy Keene would do this sometimes.
- Laff-A-Lympics: Dinky Dalton upon being criticized over his eating habits.Dastardly Dalton: Dinky, you shouldn't just sit there eating hot dogs with mustard, mayonnaise and raspberry jelly!
Dinky Dalton: You're right! Next batch, leave off the mustard!
- Hilariously used in Les Légendaires, where protagonist Jadina become the target of a rivalry between her teammate Danael and her former fiancé Prince Halan. When questionning her other teammates about the dangers the two of them go through lastly,Gryf explains her they are doing it "for a girl's beautiful eyes"... and she deduces Danael and Halan have a crush on her elven comrade Shimy, to everyone's dismay.
- Mortadelo y Filemón:
- In "La gallina de los huevos de oro" Mortadelo hits Filemón on the head, believing that it is the hen they are looking for and comments that he will wake her up with an injection. Cue angry Filemón starting to run after him, ready to inject him a dose of sulfuric acid. Mortadelo's answer?Don't be mad, boss! You aren't a registered nurse and could get fined!
- One of the many secret entrances to the TIA offices has the duo dragging through a very narrow passage. Mortadelo finds the exit blocked by some sort of fabric a rips it off with a knife. Turns out that, in the other side, there was a very expensive picture that the Súper had on his wall. "The Tiziano! The Tiziano!", the Súper screams. "No, it's me, the Mortadelo", answers Mortadelo with a cheerful smile, "Don't you know me?"
- In "La gallina de los huevos de oro" Mortadelo hits Filemón on the head, believing that it is the hen they are looking for and comments that he will wake her up with an injection. Cue angry Filemón starting to run after him, ready to inject him a dose of sulfuric acid. Mortadelo's answer?
- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (IDW):
- The CMC have been fillynapped! What's the first thing they think about? Whether or not they get "fillynapped" cutie marks. Queen Chrysalis even considers revising her opinion that trolls are the stupidest creatures alive after putting up with their constant chatter for a while.
- In #2, Twilight is more impressed by how large a cave troll is instead of any possible threat the troll represents.
- When Rarity faces the Phantom Pony of the Opera in the changeling castle, she is more disturbed by the prospect of dating a basement-dwelling musician than anything.
- Sweetie Belle is more upset about Chrysalis being boring than her being a threat to their lives.
- When Richard Dragon is being cuffed with a bit of unnecessary roughness and being told he's being charged with two murders Lady Shiva committed in Detroit his response is an amused "Tengu's name was Sidney?" upon learning one of the victim's given names, instead of responding to the charges being leveled against him.
- Rod Runtledge in Radioactive Man seems to accrue these.
- In his first appearance, Gloria asks Claude to look out for him, as she's afraid of him becoming a delinquent; Claude makes a pathetic excuse and leaves. Later, as Radioactive Man, he find Rod with a bunch of other teenage hoodlums robbing a store. RM stops Rod and berates him... for jaywalking, which is both illegal and dangerous. Also, the TV he's carrying is far too big for a lad of his size; best let RM carry it for him.
- Later on, when Rod fights Magmo the Lava Man as Fallout Boy, a pair of bullies think it's a pity Rod never gets to see Fallout Boy in action, as it might show him what it means to be a real man. They also ponder how strange it is that Rod always disappears right before Fallout Boy shows up. Then they find a pile of Rod's clothes, all neatly folded up. This can only mean one thing - Rod is running around naked!
- In Runaways, when Alex pulls a Sleeping Dummy trick to conspire with his friends about taking down the Ancient Conspiracy their parents are part of, his mother's first reaction is to wonder what her son is doing with a male mannequin head in his room.
- In Scott Pilgrim, the Vegan Police rush in to remove Todd Ingram's vegan superpowers for eating gelato. Someone notes that Todd also ate chicken parmesan, but the police aren't sure whether parmesan is an animal or not, so they don't punish him for that one.
- Spider-Man: During J. Michael Straczynski's run, Peter Parker briefly visited Nevada to investigate the origins of a new enemy, a Gamma-powered zombie named Digger. While in Nevada, he called Mary Jane (this was after Peter and MJ had reconciled), briefly mentioning the anti-nuke protests outside the Gamma-energy site and the flight attendant who tried to make a pass at him, before explaining in detail what he found out about Digger. After the mandatory Beat panel, MJ asked, "Wait a minute, the flight attendant made a pass at you?"
- This exchange from Starman:Jack: This one isn't about collectibles but it's the same kind of thing. I'm in a book store ... for new books. I've gone a little bit crazy and I'm about to spend a couple of hundred bucks. I murmur under my breath "money's too tight to mention". Now the guy behind the register, he hears this. He looks at me, nodding his head knowingly like we're in some "club of cool" together. He says, "Yeah, Simply Red" like it's a password, and now we do the secret handshake. And I'm thinking "Simply Red"? Lame English band. More soul at a polka convention. And the book store guy thinks he's on some kind of inside loop with that.
Sadie: That's the smuggest thing I ever heard. A guy tries to be nice and you stand there hating him just because he hasn't heard of the Valentine Brothers. You're like my ex-boyfriend. He was that way about authors. He'd deliberately drop obscure quotes and references. He'd take over conversations at parties. But none of what he read was for the love of it. His knowledge was like a weapon. Don't tell me you're like that. I don't want another jerk. I've had... Hey, why are you smiling?
Jack: Because you've heard of the Valentine Brothers.
- Steven Universe: Harmony: Peridot claims she can keep a mission within the Crystal Gems' "acceptable collateral damage limit". When Pearl points out they have no such thing, Peridot thinks she means they don't even try to limit how much damage they do.
- In Strangers in Paradise, Casey, the sweetest girl there is, had no idea that Katchoo was talking about joining the new iteration of the Big Six when she mentioned "going back to work." It was this display of naiveté that helped keep Katchoo out of the game and got her painting again, which was what Casey thought she meant in the first place.
- In a Supergirl Annual, Kara calls Brainiac 5 out on drawing into their dimension the Eldritch Abomination that has conquered the whole world. Brainy's answer? He doesn't believe she's had conquered the whole world yet.Supergirl: Okay, let's review. You, Brainiac 5, while experimenting on a supposedly "magical" statue, bombarded it with timestream energy, thereby summoning an alien death goddess.
Brainiac 5: Mm.
Supergirl: Then, when she shows up and starts possessing our friends, your first inclination is not to stay and fight, but run away into the timestream. Which pretty much ensures that she enslaves the entire Earth.
Brainiac 5: Oh, I doubt the entire Earth's been enslaved by this point, Supergirl. I mean, she's only had a few days.
- Superlópez: In a short story, the witch Morgana decides she dislikes buildings and uses her magic to replace them with forests. When this happens, López has just got home, and the doorkeeper of his building is sweeping the floor with her broom. He is quick to try to point out the disappearance of the building:López: Did you notice that? It's incredible!
Doorkeeper: You mean...? (checks her broom) Oh my God! You're right! This cannot be! This broom didn't even last two days! It's a scandal!
- Suzie: A number of cover gags was the titular heroine doing this, such as being told she should have come to work on time, and her thinking that was because something exciting happened that morning.
- Ultimate FF: The home universe of Miles Morhames, the Ultimate Spider-Ham was destroyed. The end started with the comig of Galactypus. Simian Richards ended her relation with Ben Grizzly, and fell in love with Duck-Tor Doom instead. They kissed, and their universe died. Oh, that's horrible! A duck and a gorilla making out? Gross!
Comically Missing The Point / Comic Books