- In The 3 Little Pigs: The Movie, when Felix warns Wally and Beemo that their houses wont protect them from the wolf, Wally pops his head through the wall of his straw house to look at him and ask why.
- In Beauty and the Beast, Belle does this, seemingly on purpose as a means of messing with Gaston.Gaston: Here, picture this: A rustic hunting lodge, my latest kill roasting on the fire, and my little wife massaging my feet, while the little ones play on the floor with the dogs. We'll have six or seven.Belle: Dogs?Gaston: No, Belle! Strapping boys, like me!
- In The Book of Life, As Joaquin and Manolo prepare to fight mono e mono, one of Joaquin's men throws him his sword, while the mariachi guys throw Manolo... His guitar."What?? You wanted a banjo?
- In The Boxtrolls, but used in a non funny matter. It has Eggs saying that HE was the Trubshore Baby but Lord Portley Rind doesn't care that a baby took by the Boxtrolls are alive and gets mad at him for making the cheese wheel fall into the sea.
- Chicken Run: Mr. Tweedy is being attacked by chickens.Mr. Tweedy: Mrs. Tweedy! THE CHICKENS ARE REVOLTING!
Mrs. Tweedy: (not looking up) Finally, something we agree on.
- Babs has several moments of this herself.
- The scene from Felidae with Bluebeard's response to Francis telling him that the cult could lead to something big. "Something like a fresh piece of fish?"
- Complete with a hilarious grin.
- From Hey Arnold! The Movie, as the boarders try to figure out a way to keep the house from being demolished:Oskar: Maybe we could paint the house with vanishing cream! Then it will be invisible!Ernie: That is the stupidest idea I ever heard! What if it rains? Ding-dong! Ever think about that, Kokoschka? It'll wash the vanishing cream off and then everyone will see us!Oskar: Ah, pooh, you're right!
- For much of Home, Oh cannot get it through his head that his brethren hold him in contempt.
- In Hoodwinked!, right after the Big Bad's Villain Song, the Wolf and Granny are secretly watching behind rocks:Granny Puckett: Sweet tea and cookies! We got to do something.
Wolf W. Wolf: I know. The song was catchy, but the choreography was terrible.
- In the Inside Out short Riley's First Date?, Mr. Anderson, primed by over-protectiveness, misinterprets almost everything Jordan says as insubordination when in fact it's mainly just Jordan being a bit of an absent-minded ditz.
- In The Jungle Book (1967), Baloo does this several times when Bagheera is addressing him. One time is when Bagheera watches Baloo train Mowgli on fighting like a bear, and he speaks in a cutting tone...Bagheera: Fine teacher you are, old iron claws.
Baloo: Oh, thanks, Bagheera.
- Another time is when Bagheera urges Baloo to take Mowgli to the man-village and explains why:Bagheera: You wouldn't marry a panther, would you?
Baloo: I don't know. Come to think of it, no panther ever asked me.
- Another time is when Bagheera urges Baloo to take Mowgli to the man-village and explains why:
- In Kung Fu Panda 2 villain Lord Shen is about to release his ultimate weapon with a Badass Boast, but his lieutenant doesn't get the analogy.Shen: The Year of the Peacock begins now!
Wolf: Right now? Cause it's the middle of the year... so you'd only get like a half of the Year of the Peacock.
Shen: (Shows him a knife)
Wolf: And this is, of course, the Year of the Peacock, aha...Happy New Year, sir.
- The Lion King (1994) gives us the hyenas in the "Be Prepared" song.Banzai: Yeah! Be prepared. We'll be prepared! For what?
Scar: For the death of the king!
Banzai: Why? Is he sick?
Scar: No, fool, we're going to kill him. And Simba too.
Shenzi: Great idea! Who needs a king?
Hyenas: No king, no king! La la la la la!
Scar: Idiots! There will be a king!
Banzai: Eh, but you said...
Scar: I will be king!
- In Monsters University, the first round of the Scare Games involves running through a tunnel of toxic sea urchin-like critters. As the hosts repeatedly tell the contestants not to touch them, Art is excitedly yelling how he wants to touch one. He does and is promptly poisoned.
- In The Nightmare Before Christmas, Jack Skellington tries to explain Christmas by way of talking about gifts and stockings. The other citizens of Halloween don't quite get it. In fact, Nightmare's entire plot hinges on the fact that the Halloween Town's citizens don't quite get the point of Christmas.Jack: We pick up an over-sized sock, and hang it like this on the wall.
Various Hydes: Oh, yes! Does it still have a foot? Let me see! Let me look! Is it rotted and covered with gook?!
- Jack's own enthusiasm for putting on Christmas has him oblivious to Sally's warning, as he assigns her making his Santa outfit.Sally: Jack, please listen to me. It's going to be a disaster!Jack: How could it be? Just follow the pattern! [holds up design of outfit] This part's red, the trim is white...Sally: It's a mistake, Jack!Jack: Now don't be modest. Who else is clever enough to make my Sandy Claws outfit?
- Jack's own enthusiasm for putting on Christmas has him oblivious to Sally's warning, as he assigns her making his Santa outfit.
- Skipper in Penguins of Madagascar, a lot. Within one action scene, he scolds Private for playing with "backpacks" (actually parachutes), says passengers on a plane they punched holes in are going to freak because of a lack of snacks, and responds to Kowalski saying a plane is at 12 o'clock (referring to its position in relation to the penguins) with "Good, it's only eleven thirty".
- One of the volunteers for the posse, Sgt. Turley, has an arrow through his eye, and Rango sheepishly points out, "You've, uh, got a little something in your eye there." Turley seems to think Rango is talking about his conjunctivitis.
- The mole rats are completely taken in when Rango and his posse pose as a troupe of actors; when they steal back the water supply and run off, one of the rats quips "Must be that immersive theater."
- In The Road to El Dorado, when Miguel and Tulio are caught accidentally stowing away on Cortez's ship:Cortez: My crew was as carefully chosen as the Disciples of Christ, and I will not tolerate stowaways. You will be flogged. And when we put in to Cuba to resupply, God willing, you will be flogged some more. And then enslaved on the sugar plantations for the rest of your miserable lives. To the brig!Miguel: All right! Cuba!
- SCOOB! has two examples:
- Young Shaggy mistakes young Velma's Ruth Bader Ginsburg costume for Harry Potter. When she clarifies who she's dressed up as, he still thinks Ginsburg is a Harry Potter character.
- Later, Dick Dastardly calls Fred "the poor man's Hemsworth." Naturally, Fred is confused as to which Hemsworth he's talking about, being either Chris or Liamnote .
- In South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, after the Canadian army blows up the Baldwin brothers, the U.S. declares war on Canada. Everyone is shocked, but Mr. Garrison shouts "All the Baldwins are dead!?"
- Sid from Ice Age, basically all the time.
- In The Rescuers Down Under,during the beginning of the film, Bernard is trying to work up the courage to ask Ms. Bianca to marry him. However as he's away, Bianca receives word of their newest mission to Australia. She sends their waiter off to find Bernard, but when Bernard doesn't listen to him, it leads him to the misunderstanding that they have a mission at all.Ms. Bianca: Bernard, did you talk to Francois?
Bernard: Ah, yes, but uh.. there's... there's something I want-
Ms. Bianca: I know exactly what you're going to say. Francois told me all about it.
Bernard: He did? How, how... how did he-
Ms. Bianca: Oh, it doesn't matter, I think it's a marvelous idea.
Bernard: You do? I mean, you... you really want to?
Ms. Bianca: I don't think it's a matter of wanting. It's a matter of duty.
Bernard: D-duty? I... I never thought of it, well, umm... all right.... all right. How does... how does next ah-April sound to you?
Ms. Bianca: Heavens, no! We must act immediately, tonight!
Bernard: Tonight? But, but, ah... wait! [cuts to them walking down into the headquarters of the Rescue Aid Society] Uh, Bianca, this is so sudden, I mean, don't you at least need a gown or something?
Ms. Bianca: No, just a pair of khaki shorts and some hiking boots.
Bernard: Hiking boots?
- In Sponge Bob Squarepants: Sponge Out of Water, SpongeBob and Patrick are at a roulette table:Patrick: Put it on the "L".
SpongeBob: Patrick, that's not an "L," that's a seven.
Patrick: Seven begins with an "L"??
- In The LEGO Batman Movie, when the Eye of Sauron tells the Joker that the Batcave is located under Wayne Manor, Joker thinks it means Bruce Wayne and Batman are roommates.
- In Coco, Miguel is quite surprised to discover that the Land of the Dead is real.Miguel: I thought it might've been one of those made up things that adults tell kids, like... vitamins.Tia Victoria: Miguel, vitamins are a real thing.Miguel: Well, now I'm thinking maybe they could be...
- The Emperor's New Groove:
- Yzma's Evil Plan:"Ah, how shall I do it? Oh, I know. I'll turn him into a flea, a harmless little flea, and then I'll put that flea in a box, and then I'll put that box inside of another box, and then I'll mail that box to myself, and when it arrives... [Laughs] ...I'll SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER! It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, I tell you! Genius, I say! [knocks over bottle of poison on flower, which instantly shrivels up and dies] ...Or, to save on postage, I'll just poison him with this!"
- Zig-zagged with Kronk's sudden realization: "THE PEASANT! AT THE DINER! ... he didn't pay his check." Then as he goes back to sleep, he suddenly recognizes him as the guy who carried off Kuzco.
- Yzma's Evil Plan:
- Lampshaded in WALLE, when the Captain points out that AUTO's orders not to return to Earth because it can't sustain life no longer apply, as the plant proves that life is sustainable on Earth:AUTO: "Irrelevant."Captain: "What?! It is completely relevant!"
- In the first Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf movie, when Wolnie asks Mr. Slowy where Wolffy is, her son Wilie copies her when she says "Mr. Slowy, where have you taken my husband to?", and Wolnie tells him that he should refer to him as his dad instead of his husband. Wilie then says "Dad, where have you taken my husband to?"
Comically Missing The Point / Animated Films