Sally Forth is a King Features syndicated newspaper comic, originally written and drawn by Greg Howard (then a recently retired lawyer), and introduced in 1982. It is a slice-of-life domestic comedy, tending towards story arcs but often using the gag-a-day format for the Sunday strips. In 1992, Craig MacIntosh took over the drawing with Howard continuing to write. Then, in 1999, Francesco Marciuliano took over the writing, when Howard left the strip completely (and when arguably the strip entered into its full form). Sally Forth is carried in nearly 700 papers nationwide.
This comic provides examples of:
- Aborted Arc: A storyline from February 2018 had Sally agonizing over whether she should re-hire Alice or not. It was never mentioned again until eight months later, when Ted brought it up.Ted: Speaking of stories that went nowhere, whatever happened to Alice coming back to work with you?Sally: Well, we had some brutal layoffs. But yeah, that one kinda just faded away.
- Author Avatar: Marciuliano has said "there is no denying Ted is essentially me."
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The Forths' daughter Hilary is a blonde. Her best friend Faye has black hair. Their friend Nona is a redhead.
- Sally's friend/coworker Alice is blonde; her daughter is a level-headed redhead, and her son is hyperactive brunette.
Nona started as an answer to my own question, "What if Luna Lovegood lived in the suburbs... and wasn't a wizard... and didn't have an English accent even though, let's face it, English accents make everything sound brilliant or diabolical... except maybe the poor English characters in Mike Leigh films... Seriously, just watching those doomed characters try to scrape enough shillings to purchase a pen to sign over their house to creditors is absolute torture... Who am I talking to?"
- Nona. The writer has described her thusly:
- Ted, of course. His choice of office watercooler talk is less sports and more '80s TV cartoons.
- Sally's stepdad; he might actually be senile.
- Comic-Book Time: Lampshaded by Hil's boyfriend, Jon, after he comes back for the summer and is...quite a bit taller than when he left."It doesn't feel like people ever age around here. It's like a Twilight Zone episode, but with Wi-Fi."
Hilary: Wait, if Bettina aged a year, why am I still 12?Ted: Don't...don't go down that rabbit hole. The whole system will fall apart.
- Also lampshaded on September 14, 2014.
- Deadpan Snarker: If you find one person in the strip that isn't one, you get a gold star.
- Deconstructor Fleet: Marciuliano seems to take pleasure in showing how off-putting a family with sitcom-like behavior would be in the real world. As an example, the Forths have no friends because no one wants to deal with Ted's loopiness or Sally's desperate need to prove herself to her mother.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Ted does it, but Hilary seems to take after him in this department on occasion.
- Meta Guy: Sally's husband Ted was Abed before Abed was.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: According to the above interview, Nona is apparently very bright if scatterbrained.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Both sets, really. Sally's mother is a constant belittler. Ted's parents are dour borderline alcoholics.
- One-Two Punchline: Under Marciuliano, especially. In fact it's not too rare to see a one-two-three punchline if, say Sally, Ted and Hilary are all in the last panel.
- Pointy-Haired Boss: Ralph, Sally's former boss. He was eventually demoted to her co-worker before she was reorg'd to the marketing department.
- Poor Communication Kills: Hilary and Faye had a falling out with Nona and, thinking that she needs space, wait so long to apologize that Nona found a new pair of blond and brunette friends.
- Running Gag: Every Easter, Sally always bites the ears off of Hilary's chocolate bunny.
- Every autumnal equinox will begin with a soliloquy on how awesome Fall is.
- Every Halloween, Ted argues with the same eight year-old trick-or-treater.
- Spike Spiegel, of all people, appears in one of Hil's dreams in a 2017 comic strip.
- One Sunday strip has Ted explaining the concept of Mystery Science Theater 3000 to Hilary, only to reveal Joel and the bots riffing on the strip itself.
- Sally's favourite cartoon from her childhood is called Starlee and the Moonbeams.
- A strip of the cast at a convention features some attendees dressed as Maka Albarn, Soul Eater Evans, Haruko Haruhara, and Jem.
- Villain Over for Dinner: When Sally's sister Jackie announces that she's hooked up with Sally's former boss Ralph. They're now married.