Jump Start is a daily comic strip written and illustrated by Robb Armstrong, and syndicated by United Features Syndicate. The strip revolves around Joe and Marcy Cobb, a middle-class African-American couple from Philadelphia as they try to balance their professional lives and raising their young children.
Tropes used in this comic strip:
- all lowercase letters: The young children, such as Sunny and Jojo, have this in their Speech Bubbles.
- Born in an Elevator: Joe and Marcy's first kid, Sunny, was born in a car on the way to the hospital. When Marcy was pregnant with Jojo, Joe was worried it would happen again. Luckily, they made it on time.
- Comic-Book Fantasy Casting: Joe's partner, Cruncy, is clearly based on Edward Asner.
- Comic-Book Time: Initially averted then played straight - Jump Start was one of a handful of strips that takes place in (relative) real time, until some time after the twins, Teddy and Tommi were born and the characters stopped aging.
- DecemberDecember Romance: Clayton and Maureen
- Drives Like Crazy: Joe's mother
- Grammar Nazi: Joe's mother, much to everyone's annoyance.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Clarence and Charlene.
- Salt and Pepper: Inverted with Sunny and her best friend Dexter, since Sunny is definitely the most level-headed of the two. Played more straight with Jojo and his best friend Benny.
- Soap Punishment: Marcy Cobb tells her husband Joe that she had to wash out their son Joseph's mouth for lying. Joe reminds her that washing out someone's mouth with soap is for cursing, not lying.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Clayton and Maureen.