The strip is quite savvy, often poking fun at cliches and tropes found in cartoons and comic books as well as broad culture itself.
The Characters include:
- Fritz and Bixby: A dog and a rat who function as the heads of Ink Pen to employ the various cartoon characters. The two have an Odd Couple relationship. Fritz being a workaholic obsessive compulsive neat freak. He's also a former Child Actor. Bixby on the other hand is rude, lazy and spends a lot of time sitting in the trash can.
- Hamhock: A pig who'll sell out to anyone to become famous.
- Ralston Rabbit: His high moral values often clash with the children's food products he is hired to endorse.
- Captain Victorious: A squared jawed lazy, dit-witted Jerk Jock Flying Brick superhero. Frequently annoyed by his Reckless Sidekick Scrappy Lad.
- Tyr: Norse God of War who likes to throw his weight around.
- Jenn Erica: The All -Purpose Female Character.
- Moxie Gumpton: A Street Urchin youth raised in a cannery. Feisty and Tough. She has to be in order to avoid Scrappy Lad's unwanted affections. A hard edged parody of Lil Orphan Annie,
- Dynaman: A more traditional type of superhero and frequent foil for Captain Victorious. Spends lots of time working on his hair.
- Ms. Amazement: Bosomy Superheroine with a similar origin to Wonder Woman. Uses her super strength fight crime and frequently has conversations about comic book tropes with Captain Victorious or Dynaman.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Scrappy Lad spends a week trying go bad to win over Moxie. He and Hammock discuss the trope.
- Comes Great Responsibility: Well sort of...
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Some are nude, some are half dressed, while others are dressed up head to toe.
- Idiot Hero: Captain Victorious.
- Invincible Hero: Captain Victorious doesn't lose, hence the name. When Ralston Rabbit challenges him to a game of chess to see what happens if he does lose, he still wins. Somehow.
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo: Characters will frequently have conversations with a famous cartoon or comic character who are just out of frame.
- Love Triangle: Between Moxie, Ralston and Scrappy Lad. Except that Ralston doesn't like Moxie and she doesn't like Scrappy Lad.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Mad Scientist "Mr. Negato" admits he was denied his degree.
- Multiple-Choice Past: Lampshaded by Ms. Amazement.
- Pluto Is Expendable: Referenced here
- Really 700 Years Old: Moxie Gumpton
- Shown Their Work: Phil Dunlap did his research on Norse Mythology for Tyr
- Shout-Out: Plenty of comic book references. Also, he local hangout is called "McSparky's Saloon".
- Strong Family Resemblance: Happy Mother's Day