The comic merged with two other comics during its run: Buzz in 1975 and Sparky in 1977. The comic would go on to merge with The Beezer in 1990 as The Beezer and Topper before finally going defunct in 1993. Unlike The Beezer, after 1993 there were no more Topper annuals.
The comics most popular strip was Beryl the Peril. This strip was something of a Distaff Counterpart to The Beano's Dennis the Menace and was originally drawn by the same artist. This strip would go on to have its own spin-off annual and go onto appear in The Dandy (one of the few Topper characters to survive its closure).
This comic (and its strips) provide examples of:
- Animated Adaptation: An episode of the Dennis the Menace TV series involves Dennis attempting to watch a week long marathon of Nick Kelly. Nick Kelly was the main character from the Send for Kelly strip.
- Big Eater: Hungry Horace was this. The character originally appeared in The Dandy before turning up in Sparky and then being transferred to The Topper after Sparky's merger.
- Comics Merger: The Topper absorbed Sparky and Buzz during its lifetime before being merged into The Beezer. After the Beezer's demise a few Topper characters reappeared in other comics, most notably Beryl The Peril in The Dandy.
- Cunning Like a Fox: Averted in the Foxy strip as Foxy's attempts to catch the Farmer's chickens would always end in disaster.
- "Far Side" Island: Desert Island Dick.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: The strip Jimmy Jinx and what he thinks (originally from Buzz) used this trope as its main gimmick.
- Have a Gay Old Time: The strip Danny's Tranny was about a boy called Danny and his magic transistor radio. The phrase Tranny has now gained other meanings.
- Master of Disguise: Al Change. Also a Master of Disguising, because the contents of his disguise bag worked on anybody.
- Our Goblins Are Different: Splodge was a strip about a Goblin who could only be seen by readers of The Topper.
- Power-Up Food: Souper Boy gained Super powers after eating Soup.
- Show Within a Show: Nick Kelly when he was in the Dennis the Menace TV series.