The Silencer is a 2018 monthly comic book from DC Comics launched as part of The New Age of Heroes line, a quasi-spinoff from Dark Nights: Metal. The series is written by Dan Abnett and is mainly illustrated by Jack Herbert and Patrick Zircher (although John Romita Jr. and Viktor Bogdanovik illustrated the early issues).
Honor Guest was once the deadliest assassin employed by the shadowy Leviathan organization, and a personal friend of its leader, Talia al Ghul. In addition to her skills as a trained killer, Honor also possesses the ability to create a field around her that prevents sound from escaping it.
Honor eventually began to despise her job and wished for a normal life. After completing one final hit on another, traitorous Leviathan agent, Talia allowed Honor to retire in peace. Years later, after building a family and a quiet suburban life, Honor is thrust back into the business when another Leviathan member attempts to assassinate her on a shopping trip, since it turns out Honor's last job as pushed Leviathan into a civil war, one that she is now on the wrong side of.
The series debuted on January 31, 2018. It lasted 18 issues.
The Silencer contains examples of:
- Boring, but Practical: The Silencer's one real superpower is the ability to create a "Zone of Silence" which dampens sound completely in a small area. It's not flashy nor does it give her any added physical enhancements, but it allows her to kill her targets very quietly without alerting anyone else in the general vicinity. She can even project the zone onto the path of a bullet and have it spread to whatever it hits for silent long-range assassinations.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Honor.
- Diner Brawl: In issue #6, the opening scene of the series culminates in one of these; first as a shootout between Honor and a gaggle of mercenaries, and finally a brutal fist and knife fight between Honor and Talia.
- How We Got Here: The series opens with Honor threatening someone at gunpoint in a diner, and the first arc tells how things got to that point.
- Important Haircut: Honor buzzes her hair once she gets back into her old lifestyle, having grown her hair shoulder-length as a civilian.
- Make Some Noise: Honor has the ability to generate a "Zone of Silence" around herself that completely smothers any sound within, allowing her to silently take down her many targets. She can also apply it to a bullet for long-range assassinations.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Honor looks like a typical athletic woman, but has shown impressive levels of strength that might push her just over the edge into superhuman territory.
- Percussive Maintenance: Honor attempts this while trying to fix her old washing machine, already on its last legs. She succeeds in actually killing it and leaving it rather dented.
- Resignations Not Accepted: Downplayed. Honor does genuinely get to retire... but is forced back into the life years later.