The Savage is a piece of Young Adult graphic novel written by David Almond and illustrated by Dave McKean. It's a story about a boy named Blue, who in an effort to cope with his father's death starts to write and draw a story about a boy in the woods, simply known as the savage. Unknown to him the savage is real. It was first published in 2008.
This book provides examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Blue calls his mother "Mam".
- An Axe to Grind: Aside from some old Kitchen knives The Savage's weapon of choice seems to be an ax stolen from Franky Finnigin.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Instead of killing Hopper like he originally planned The Savage proceeds to punch him.
- Good Parents: By all accounts Blue's Dad and Mam are shown to be caring parents.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The Savage is stated to kill and eat people in Blue's story. It's not truly known if he's this in reality, but considering everything else seen of him follows Blue's story he likely is.
- Real After All: The Savage is revealed to be real at the end of the story.
- Wild Child: The Savage is openly acknowledged as being completely feral.