Way back in 1952, atomic testing in the South Pacific creates Alpha One, the world's first and only super-hero. Nearly sixty years later, Alpha One, side by side with Section Omega, a police force devoted exclusively to assisting Earth's mightiest hero, has become the most powerful force for good in the world.
When Lieutenant Gabriel Cole assumes leadership of Section Omega due to the sudden murder of his predecessor, he finds himself working shoulder to shoulder with the same hero who saved his life as a child.
Created by DC Comics.
The Series Contains the following examples:
- Bat Signal: Cole's hand can summon Alpha One whenever he wants. Becomes a bit of a problem when he finds out what kind of monster Alpha One is and it turns out that Alpha One can trace the implant.
- Beware the Superman: Alpha One was already a horrible bastard amongst his own species with his suggestion to their Congress to just round up and Kill the Poor (and then killing many of them when they tried to arrest him). He gets a whole lot creepier once on Earth, quietly trying to create more of his race so he can kill all (or most) of humanity to rule over.
- Captain Ersatz: Alpha One has a whole lot of Silver Age Superman mannerisms, which make his casual sociopathy a whole lot more creepy.
- Depleted Phlebotinum Shells: Gabriel Cole was given some special bullets. It turns out that it's special condensed nitrogen bullets to use against the invulnerable Alpha One since he needs to breathe more oxygen than most people.
- Everyone Has Standards: An important backstory detail. The comic never says how similar to Alpha One's mentality the rest of his race is, but even they couldn't stomach Alpha One's idea of massacring 10% of the planet's population to improve the living standards of the rest.
- Fantastic Racism: Though he claims that he's against "racial conflict" as one of the things that decayed his home planet, Alpha's plan to exterminate 1/10 of the population seemed to include more than one "Blue Face" getting captured and taken away.
- Historical Rap Sheet: Multiple disasters throughout history, such as the Titanic sinking, were caused by Alpha One trying to gather humans for his experiments.
- I Love Nuclear Power: Alpha's powers came from exposure to a hydrogen bomb. Actually he was an alien with super powers.
- Jumped at the Call: Gabriel Cole grew up hearing the fantastic stories of Alpha One and did everything he could to get into Section Omega. Broken Pedestal doesn't even begins to describe this whole mess.
- Kill the Poor: Alpha One suggests to his fellow members of Congress a way of helping his planet that involves killing most of the degenerates. They didn't approve.
- Power Echoes: Alpha One's speech bubbles have a red outline that no one else has. When a human ends up with his powers, they get a blue outline. This is eventually described as a kind of echo effect in their voice.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Early on, Alpha One tried to create half-human hybrids "the usual way". When that didn't worked, he decided to got genetic engineering.
- Shooting Superman: Like Superman, bullets bounces off of Alpha One. When some thugs wouldn't stop shooting Alpha One, they died from the ricochets.
- Terms of Endangerment: Alpha One's habit of calling people close to him "chum" becomes this as the situation becomes darker.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Alpha One is not used to fighting others with his power levels.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Alpha One's alien physiology needs more pure oxygen than a regular human to survive. Even regular air becomes insufficient after an extended period of time. An attempt to kill him with special nitrogen bullets doesn't work because he's able to react quickly to the threat—but Cole used the distraction to set Alpha's hyperbaric chamber to deliver pure nitrogen the next time he used it...
- We Can Rule Together: Alpha wanted Cole to join in his plans to rule over humanity. At first Cole agreed, but really to drop Alpha's guard and trying to free the super-empowered human prisoners.
- Where Does He Get All Those Wonderful Toys?: Alpha's equipment comes from the proceeds from merchandising his image. Action figures, for example.