The Contest is a comic book story arc that occurred in 1994 written by William Messner-Loebs and drawn by Mike Deodato. It compiled a segment of the second volume of the DC Comics Wonder Woman book from issues 90 through 93 and issue 0 into a collected book edition.
The plot involves Hippolyta having a premonition that Wonder Woman will die. Hippolyta holds a contest hoping that her daughter will lose the title before this premonition comes to pass. Diana loses her title as Wonder Woman to Artemis.
This Storyline provide these examples:
- Anti-Hero Substitute: Artemis, the Comic Book premise is to illustrate, how she is different from Diana. This is also a deconstruction of the heroes of the nineties.
- Action Girl: The Amazons, big time. They have a long proud history of practicing athletics and martial arts.
- Ax-Crazy: The Joker as always, Also Cheetah and Cheshire, appearing in the last numbers.
- Bi the Way: Artemis has female and male lovers.
- Boobs of Steel: Again Diana, and Artemis due to way the comic book was made.
- Character Development: Artemis step from being an anti-heroine of the nineties to being more calm but equal than brutal at least.
- Crapsack World: Subverted, The vision of the comic was to show the Dark Age of Comic Books for the reader, and also showing about the Anti-Hero Substitute and the dichotomy about Artemis and Diana.
- Death Is Cheap: What can you expect about a comic book story during the 90's?
- Demon Slaying: After being reborn as Requiem, She begin her path as a demon slayer to return to the world of the living.
- Due to the Dead: Artemis fall in battle dying but before, she give back the title of wonder woman to Diana, this of course will not long last.
- Good Is Not Nice: Artemis that despite being on the side of the good is much more pragmatical and more dangerous than Diana ever was.
- Hero Antagonist: Artemis acts very differently to Diana, for being much more pragmatic and brutal than she has ever been.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Diana who despite having lost her title continued to be fair and straight. Artemis wants to archive this.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Artemis is abrasive, rude and brutal, but she will protect innocent lives and she take her title as a wonder woman very seriously.
- Most Common Superpower: Diana by the way she was drawn and Artemis for wearing a very sexy variation of the wonder woman costume
- Ms. Fanservice: Artemis is wearing a very thin suit of Wonder Woman, even Diana is wearing little more than a black bra and shorts.
- Stripperiffic: All the Amazons who are not elderly in appearance are wearing so little clothing material it leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination, including making it clear that none of the Amazons posses a single strand of body hair.
- Thong of Shielding: Mike Deodato shrinks the spangled Wonder Woman shorts into a thong.
- Tournament Arc: The arc covers a tournament organized by Hippolyta to replace Diana as Wonder Woman.
- Underboobs: Artemis's initial "top" is basically a loop of gold that passes over her shoulders and covers part of her breasts on its way to loop back to her back. The bottom of her breasts are exposed by this ensemble.