Teen Titans: Year One is a limited series based around the original Teen Titans team. It was released in 2008 and ran for six issues that were later combined into one volume. The series is a part of DC Comics' Year One line of comics.
This comic provides examples of:
- Adaptational Ugliness:
- Speedy is not unattractive at all but the comic makes him a gangly looking teenager, instead of the more mature-looking and muscular mainstream version.
- The otherwise attractive Aqualad also gains pale skin, dark bags under his eyes and buck teeth. The intent is less monster man and more how an awkward adolescent would see themselves.
- Blush Stickers: Wonder Girl has permanent pink dots high on her cheeks, which only appear in this series.
- Setting Update: From the 1960s of their original comics to the contemporary 2000s. This is noticeable in the clothing and technology.
- You Don't Look Like You: Aqualad is usually a human looking boy, however this series puts an emphasis on his fish-looking aspects and he gives him a bluish skin tone.