After the fallout of the events in Teen Titans (Rebirth). Nightwing takes it upon himself to mentor the next generation of young heroes. With the help of Starfire, Cyborg, Raven, and Beast Boy, the Titans Leader will set out to make sure no Teen Titan ever goes down a dark path again.
Tropes in Teen Titans Academy:
- An Ice Person: Summer Zahid was previously introduced in the Teen Titans Endless Winter issue and has ice-generating powers.
- Canon Immigrant: Red X makes the jump to mainstream continuity from the Teen Titans animated series after debuting in DC Future State.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Alinta (Bolt) is an aboriginal Australian girl with blonde hair.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Roundhouse isn't happy he has to share a room with a freshman (Totally Tubular).
- Heartwarming Orphan: Averted with the "Bat Pack," Megabat (Lucas), Chupacabra (Diego), and Bratgirl (Merissa), three Gotham teen heroes whom Nightwing found living in an orphanage. They're rather standoffish and keep to themselves away from the other students. They chose to attend the academy because it was preferable to being stuck in an orphanage, but aren't necessarily in love with the place.
- Mythology Gag In addition to Red X, the core mentor team (Nightwingnote , Starfire, Cyborg, Raven and Beast Boy) is taken directly from the cartoon.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Totally Tubular is only known by his superhero name or the nickname "Tooby."
- Superhero School: The premise of Teen Titans Academy as Nightwing and the other Titans wants to break the cycle of Titan teams that just fall apart in disarray or death.
- Take That!: When Nightwing introduces a class as Defense Against the Dark Arts and no one laughs, he figures the students are too young to get the reference. Alinta and Tooby explain everyone gets the reference, but feel "Nowadays it's problematic and best ignored."
- Transgender: Stitch, as a living ragdoll, is nonbinary. They joke their preferred term is "genderqueer quilted American" before clarifying they're not actually American.