Tales Of The Beanworld is a comic book written by Larry Marder. It focuses on the tales of a world of anthropomorphic beans. The comic has an incredibly detailed, bizarre semi-2d cosmology, and a surprisingly rich plot given that most of the residents of the world are nameless. Notably, the comic does not feature humans in any way, shape or form.
The original comic ran from 1985 to 1993. It was reprinted in 2009 in two volumes, along with a third, entirely new volume. A shorter book ("volume 3.5") was published in 2012, and a fourth volume was released in July 2017.
It currently consists of:
- Wahoolazuma! (volume 1)
- A Gift Comes! (volume 2)
- Remember Here when You are There! (volume 3)
- Tales of the Beanworld, a collection of short stories.
- Hoka Hoka Burb'l Burb'l! (Volume 4)
- Arc Words: "Something more!" and, in the fourth book, "Find the Five!"
- Bloodless Carnage: Somehow, the Hoi-Polloi never bleed no matter how many spears are flung at them.
- Blue and Orange Morality: The Hoi-Polloi have this to the beans. Their entire society, mentality, and existence is wrapped up in a cycle of endless gambling.
- Cephalothorax: The Hoi-Polloi. Beans may count as well - they have no real 'head'.
- Cloudcuckoolanguage: Everyone, but the Boom'r Band takes this Up to Eleven.
- Crack Is Cheaper: In-Universe Example: Professor Garbanzo discovers the abilities of Mystery Pods. She later gets obsessed with them. Mr. Spook is not amused.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first two chapters. The first chapter involves an attack by some strange corn-shaped creatures, which only serves to set up the second chapter. The second chapter in itself is almost never mentioned again either, and its only purpose (albeit a very important purpose) is to explain where the Mystery Pods came from.
- Flashback: Several. Notably, there is issue 3 (Big Fish Story), as well as "Beanworld Zero" and "How Proffy Discovered the Four Realities"
- Volume 3.5 is almost entirely flashbacks.
- Volume 4 adds the story of how the Boom'r Band broke out.
- The Hero: Mr. Spook. That's his actual title.
- Mad Artist: Beanish has shades of this.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Mr. Spook. He is more realistically drawn compared to the other beans.
- Prongs Of Posiedon: Mr. Spook's legendary weapon.
- The Smart Guy: Professor Garbanzo. Actually, more like The Smart GIRL.
- Voice of Reason: Mr. Spook comes off as this pretty frequently.
- World Tree: Granmapa, the tree at the center of the Beanworld - literally and figuratively.