Sword Master (Lin Lie) is a fictional Chinese superhero appearing in the Marvel Universe. The character was created for the Chinese market by artist Gunji and writer Shuizhu in a collaboration between Marvel Comics and NetEase.
After debuting in Chinese digital comics in 2018, Sword Master made his American comics debut in War of the Realms, New Agents of Atlas before starring in his own series. His series features translations of the original Chinese comics and new material by Greg Pak teaming up with Shang-Chi.
As a young man, Lin Lie receives an ancient sword by his archaeologist father who found it while excavating a 5,000-year-old tomb. Sword Master is the last descendant of Fuxi, and his Fuxi Sword has mysterious magical powers.
One day his father and brother, Feng, disappeared after confronting a group of grave robbers in Quianfengou, but not before leaving a ancient sword for Lie. Lie set out to search for his father while being pursued by Demons.
While looking for his father, Lie encountered Shang-Chi, who tried to train Lie before someone attempted to steal the Sword of Fu Xi, a weapon which had caught the attention of Ares.
This series contains examples of:
- Animesque: The art style of the Sword Master comics.
- Bash Brothers: Lie and Shang-Chi.
- Car Fu: Cheng uses this against attacking demons.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The Fu Xi clan is associated with green, the Nü Wa clan with blue, and the Shen Nong clan with red.
- Cool Sword: The sword of Fu Xi, one of three magical weapons given to three tribes to fight Chiyou, the God of War.
- Disappeared Dad: Lin Lie's father went missing some time ago.
- Heroic Lineage: He's a descendant of the god Fuxi.
- How Do I Shot Web?: He wasn't that good at wielding the Sword of Fu Xi when he first obtained it.
- Left the Background Music On: The entire Nü Wa clan bows to Lie to pay their respects to the new Sword Master. Lie is so flattered he can hear music...only to realize it's Cheng playing music on his phone.
- Never Mess with Granny: Ji Shuangshuang's grandmother Ji Xiangyun, the Chief of the Nü Wa clan and current wielder of its sacred weapons.
- Only the Chosen May Wield: The three gods Fu Xi, Nü Wa, and Shen Nong each created magical weapons that can only be used by chosen members of their respective clans.
- Power Trio: Lin Lie, Ji Shuangshuang, and Cheng
- Scarf of Asskicking: Wears a red scarf as part of his getup.
- Self-Destructing Security: Searching for information on his father, Lie bribes a gang of grave robbers with a jade cicada from the Warring States period. When he learns the grave robbers beat up his father, he gives them the cicada in a wooden puzzle box. They can't open the box and can't smash it without damaging the cicada.
- Spoiler Cover: Issue #1 shows Cheng wielding the whip of Shen Nong even though, as of Issue #12, he hasn't received the weapon or been revealed as a member of the Shen Nong clan.
- True Blue Femininity: The bands of Nü Wa are associated with blue. They were created by a female goddess. Their current wielder is Ji Shuangshuang's grandmother and they will eventually be passed down to Shuangshuang herself.