Sword Master was a 12-issue series published by Marvel Comics as part of the Marvel: A Fresh Start initiative. The series was created for the Chinese market by artist Gunji and writer Shuizhu in a collaboration between Marvel Comics and NetEase. It is translated to English by Greg Pak.
After receiving an ancient divine sword from his archaeologist father, Lin Lie, the last living descendant of the mythological hero Fu Xi, takes up the family duty of ensuring that Chiyou, The God of War, remains sealed away.
The first issue was released on July 24, 2019, with the last issue being released on November 18, 2020.
See here for the continuation of Lie's story.
See here for his Character page.
Sword Master provides examples of the following tropes:
- Animesque: The art style of the Sword Master comics.
- Car Fu: Cheng uses this against attacking demons.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The Fu Xi clan is associated with green, the Nü Wa clan with blue, and the Shen Nong clan with red.
- Cool Sword: The sword of Fu Xi, one of three magical weapons given to three tribes to fight Chiyou, the God of War.
- Disappeared Dad: Lin Lie's father went missing some time ago.
- Heroic Lineage: Lie is the descendant of the god Fuxi.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Lie wasn't that good at wielding the Sword of Fu Xi when he first obtained it.
- Left the Background Music On: The entire Nü Wa clan bows to Lie to pay their respects to the new Sword Master. Lie is so flattered he can hear music...only to realize it's Cheng playing music on his phone.
- Never Mess with Granny: Ji Shuangshuang's grandmother Ji Xiangyun, the Chief of the Nü Wa clan and current wielder of its sacred weapons.
- Only the Chosen May Wield: The three gods Fu Xi, Nü Wa, and Shen Nong each created magical weapons that can only be used by chosen members of their respective clans.
- Power Trio: Lin Lie, Ji Shuangshuang, and Cheng
- Scarf of Asskicking: Lie wears a red scarf as part of his getup.
- Self-Destructing Security: Searching for information on his father, Lie bribes a gang of grave robbers with a jade cicada from the Warring States period. When he learns the grave robbers beat up his father, he gives them the cicada in a wooden puzzle box. They can't open the box and can't smash it without damaging the cicada.
- Spoiler Cover: Issue #1 shows Cheng wielding the whip of Shen Nong even though, as of Issue #12, he hasn't received the weapon or been revealed as a member of the Shen Nong clan.
- True Blue Femininity: The bands of Nü Wa are associated with blue. They were created by a female goddess. Their current wielder is Ji Shuangshuang's grandmother and they will eventually be passed down to Shuangshuang herself.