Star Wars: Union is a four-issue comic book series written by Michael Stackpole and illustrated by Robert Teranishi, set in the Star Wars Legends, taking place shortly after the Hand of Thrawn duology.
The impossible has, in fact, occurred: the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic have signed a peace treaty. Wait, sorry, that's not the impossible part. This is: Luke Skywalker proposed to Mara Jade.
It's Wedding of the Century time.
And not everybody's happy about it. The press starts spinning scenarios about "a Jedi power-base to establish a Force Empire," the plans for a small intimate wedding were scuttled the moment Threepio got involved, Mara can't find a dress, she and Luke are both having Past Experience Nightmares, and a splinter cell of Imperials figures this is the time to strike...
C'mon. Did anybody really think this was going to go smoothly?
In addition to the inherent Star Wars character and universe tropes, this series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Mara Jade.
- Bar Brawl: Luke's bachelor party, organized by Han and Wedge, is in a seedy tavern. The splinter cell sees this as a good chance to strike... when the entire room is either ex-smugglers, Jedi, military officers who earned it, or some combination thereof. Oops.
- Canon Discontinuity: The wedding of Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade, if not all the series, is disregarded by George Lucas as part of the Star Wars story. In 2008, Lucas stated that the story of the saga is Darth Vader's tragedy and that once he dies in Return of the Jedi, Luke doesn't get married. Anyway, with Disney's buyout of Lucasfilm and the subsequent canon reboot, not only the events of Star Wars: Union never actually happened, but the character of Mara Jade herself, as of currently, don't existed after all.
- Continuity Nod: All over the place:
- "That dream I had gave me a bad feeling—" "Don't say it."
- As Karrde and Booster discuss the good news, we see the Errant Venture beginning to get its bright red paint job, which is complete by Survivor's Quest.
- Cameos by Kam, Tionne, Wedge, Tycho, Wes, Hobbie, Corran, Mirax, Booster... the list goes on.
- Three Rogues sprung into action, showing that Rogues aren't only good at flying.
- As well as a completely nonsensical cameo by Empatojayos Brand, who by that point had been dead for 8 years.
- Fanservice: The bathhouse scene. Pretty tasteful as fanservice goes.
- Happily Married: Luke and Mara. Also, we're reminded of the successes of Han and Leia and Corran and Mirax.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: The Imperial saboteurs.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Kam Solusar is clearly based on Bruce Willis. To be fair, it'd be far easier to list who ISN'T this in the book.
- My Own Private "I Do": A private ceremony just for the Jedi, and a public one for the galaxy.
- Narm: Some of the romantic dialogue. It was written by Stackpole, so this is probably to be expected.
- Noodle Incident: Wes and Hobbie apparently did something with a champagne fountain at a different wedding.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Some of the possible ideas from Mara's fitting. The one Mara ends up with is on the reasonable side.
- Stag Party: Luke's erupts into a Bar Brawl.
- Wedding Smashers: The attempts at sabotaging the public ceremony.