RWBY is a seven issues comic series based off of RWBY. It is published by DC Comics. It was initially released digitally with each issue split into two chapters, with the first issue coming out in August 2019.
The comic consists of side-stories and goes into depth on topics the cartoon hasn't.
This comic provides examples of:
- Adaptation Dye-Job:
- Ruby's hair is inconsistent in media. Whether it's dark red, varying types of red-and-black, or just black depends on the piece of artwork, merchandise, or model. The DC comics gives her black hair that turns red at the tips.
- Summer is depicted with black hair instead of black and red hair (alternatively, very dark red hair). This causes an issue since Ruby's seemingly natural red-tipped hair makes less sense considering her dad is blond.
- Ambiguous Situation: In issue 1, Chapter 2, a large raven mocks Summer's death in front of Ruby. While she dismisses it as a Grimm, Qrow's reaction suggests that it was actually his sister Raven doing it.
- Childish Tooth Gap: In childhood flashbacks, Yang is depicted missing one front tooth as a way of hinting at her rambunctious nature.
- Comic-Book Adaptation: The comic is a spinoff of the web-cartoon RWBY.
- Nora is drawn with a giraffe-length neck during the first chapter.
- In the second chapter Ruby and Nora are depicted at the same height as Ren and Jaune. Ruby is much shorter than Jaune.
- Midquel: The first few issue fall in place between season 3 and 4 as the first issue recaps what happened in the first three seasons.
- Series Continuity Error: To date, nearly every issue has had a scene that conflicts with the main show timeline:
- Ruby's narration summarizing Weiss's Semblance shows her summoning prior to Volume 3, when she only unlocks it then as an 11th-Hour Superpower.
- Ruby is shown walking back to Patch during the Fall of Beacon when Qrow had to drag her out of Vale while she was unconscious. She is later seen leaving with Jaune, Ren and Nora as Taiyang waves them off when she left without giving him a forward warning.
- Yang's arm is depicted in one panel as being cut off at her wrist when it was amputated at the elbow.
- Blake's issue shows her with her parents on the island of Menagerie the night before the Black Trailer, when Volume 3 had a flashback episode showing she was already in Forever Fall with Adam the night prior.
- Speak Ill of the Dead: A talking raven mocks Ruby for Summer's death, claiming she was weak, that she would have been a poor mother to Yang and that Ruby would be just as weak.