Puerto Rico Strong is a 1-volume 2018 comic anthology.
The stories in the anthology is themed around Hurricane Maria, which was a hurricane that devastated the island in 2017. The comics are done by several different artists. Some are historical, some are educational, some are about the hurricane itself, and others are just about Puerto Ricam characters. Profits from the book went to Puerto Rican disaster relief efforts.
Puerto Rico Strong provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Julian's father in The Dragon of Bayamón is described as being physically abusive. Julian doesn't like his father and sees him as a dragon.
- Bilingual Dialogue: In several stories, the dialogue switches between English and untranslated Spanish.
- Blush Stickers: A baby in Resilience By Lamplight is portrayed with blush stickers to signify it as youthful and cute.
- Godiva Hair:
- Karaya in Areyatos is depicted topless but with hair covering her breasts.
- Knowledge of Self features a Taino woman with Godiva Hair.
- Language Barrier: Julian in The Dragon of Bayamón is sent from New York to San Juan for the summer. He barely understands his predominantly Spanish speaking extended family.
- Latino Is Brown: Averted. Puerto Ricans are portrayed multiracially and the book discusses the multiethnic history of the island.
- New York Is Only Manhattan: This is explored in Blame It On 'Rico. Tito is considered different things depending on where he's at: he's from "de fuera" in Puerto Rico, he's Puerto Rican in the Bronx, he's a Bronxite in Manhattan, and he's a New Yorker elsewhere.
- Take That!:
- Thanks For Nothing is a two page comic against the infamous incident where President Trump threw rolls of paper in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.
- Several comics are critical against historical people involved in Puerto Rico's colonization, such as Christopher Columbus.
- Writers Can Not Do Math: Pastilos Grandes takes place in 2062 according to the start but the text discusses the 22nd century, implying it's supposed to take place in 2162 instead.