Obey Me is a comic book, a tie-in to the videogame of the same name (not to be confused with the similarly named visual novel). Published by Dynamite Comics, written by Mario Mentasti, with art by Ben Herrera. The mini-series is 6 issues long (0-5) running from February 2019 to August 2019.
Obey Me's setting was described as "Holypunk" riffing on Cyberpunk elements with an "Angels vs Demons" urban fantasy spin. The main character of the comic and game is Vanessa Held, a Lesser Demon who works under Ammon, one of the Seven Infernal Archdukes. Vanessa is a Soul Huntress, acquiring the souls of those who made pacts with her boss. She is assisted by Monty, a Hellhound, who used to be an elite demon until making a mistake and getting demoted.
The Comicbook series is a prequel to the game, covering Vanessa and Monty's early adventures while setting up elements of the lore and the world for the game while introducing some of the main characters that will be involved with the plot.
This comic provides examples of:
- Our Demons Are Different: Demons in the world of Obey Me seem to require human bodies to manifest in the human world and, seemingly, said bodies are expendable.
- Flash Step: Vanessa is very proficient with short bursts of speed called "Warps" that allow her to dodge attacks or position for attacks of her own.
- Deadpan Snarker: Both Vanessa and Monty ramp up the snark with their interactions.
- Sarcasm-Blind: Monty tends to misread Vanessa's comments from time to time.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Vanessa and Monty's interactions resemble this a lot, with Monty being the dumb one and Vanessa the smart one.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Vanessa and Monty's modus operandi. Some of their kills are particularly gruesome or use excessive force against much weaker opponents.
- Villain Protagonist: Vanessa and Monty work for a Demon, both are Demons, and their missions tend to be about killing people to extract their souls.
- Jerkass: Vanessa, Monty, Anna and more than a few secondary characters seem to have at least shades of this.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Most characters have obscenity spouting machine-guns for mouths, almost to the point of parody.
- Dark Action Girl: Vanessa is a lesser demon who kicks ass on a daily basis.
- Badass Longcoat: Rory, the Soul Hunter in Issue 1.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Monty seems to lack focus and only think about food, but he can be quite dangerous in a fight.