Introduced as a telepathic precog native of the mutant nation Genosha under Emma Frost's tutelage, Negasonic was more or less created just to die for plot reasons — she foresaw a Sentinel attack on Genosha that would ultimately kill millions of people, herself included.
She later showed up, apparently alive, as part of a new Hellfire Club, but this was later revealed to be a projected image of herself by Emma. While she was ultimately revived for real during the Necrosha event, she'd ultimately meet her demise yet again...
... until the Marvel NOW! (2016) era, when she was —once again— seen alive under unknown circumstances, now considered a member of Deadpool's Mercs for Money and displaying an expanded skillset than previously established. While merely a telepath with precognitive abilities before, she somehow gained the power to warp reality, travel through time, and manipulate particle energy.
The character's sudden re-emergence in the comics (as well as her new appearance and powers) can be traced back to the 2016 Deadpool film, where she appears as a major supporting character. Portrayed there by Brianna Hildebrand, this version of the character was very popular among audiences, leading to her return in 2018's Deadpool 2.
Negasonic Teenage Warhead has appeared in:Notable Comics
- Astonishing X-Men vol. 3 (2005 — 2006) note
- Deadpool & The Mercs for Money vol. 2 (2016 — 2017)
Negasonic Teenage Warhead provides examples of:
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Her ridiculously over-the-top superhero alias is part of the reason for her rise in popularity - in fact, she was chosen to appear in Deadpool (2016) solely because of it.
- Bald Women: As of her 2016 redesign.
- Death Is Cheap: She's been killed and resurrected twice since being introduced in 2001.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: / Goth: Negasonic was introduced as very much favoring this aesthetic, and still does to an extent.
- Identical Stranger: Without◊ the goth and punk aesthetics she looks almost exactly like Kate Bishop.
- Reality Warper: She gained this ability sometime after her second resurrection.
- Sacrificial Lamb: She's more or less introduced to die in New X-Men, directly leading into the destruction of Genosha.
- Seers / Telepathy: Her primary skillset, before gaining a major level-up.
- Shout-Out: Morrison pulled her codename from the song of the same name by Monster Magnet.