Mystery Men: The Golden Age is a Marvel Comics miniseries by David Liss and Patrick Zircher.
In 1932, with the Great Depression raging, upper-class heir Daniel Piper becomes the Operative to rob the rich and give to the poor. However, when his girlfriend Alice Starr is kidnapped and murdered, and Daniel himself is framed for the murder, he finds himself drawn into a secret conspiracy to summon a demon.
Luckily for him, he's not the only costumed adventurer around. Joined by the Revenant, the Aviatrix, the Surgeon, and Achilles, the Operative intends to unravel the conspiracy and bring it down once and for all.
This series contains examples of:
- Aristocrat Team: The Board is made up of wealthy industrialists and Social Darwinists.
- Badass Normal: The Operative has no real powers or even gadgets. He just happens to have an absurd amount of martial arts training.
- The Conspiracy: The Board has been secretly manipulating the American government and economy for years, trying to nudge it into a war with Europe.
- Exact Words: Sarah Starr once stole an airplane and crashed it, accidentally killing her best friend. She managed to avoid going to jail, but was legally prohibited from ever flying an airplane again. So instead she built herself a jetpack.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: The Surgeon was once Rupert Kingsley, a mild-mannered doctor from West Virginia. After he chose to offer medical attention to miners who were involved in a labor strike, the mining company set fire to his house, horribly burning him. The pain drove him mad, and thus he became the Surgeon, a terrifying vigilante.