The Motu Patlu comic was created by Kripa Shankar Bhardwaj and later written by Harvind Makkad. It was published in the Lotpot magazine in Hindi and English.
The comic is about two idiotic friends, Motu and Patlu, who get into silly adventures with their friends, including the scientist Dr. Jhatka and the smart person Ghasitaram.
Motu Patlu provides examples of:
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: It's known for its poor English translation, which is visible in quite a few scenes◊.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In the ending of "Merry Christmas", the characters wish a merry Christmas to everyone who reads Lotpot.
- Christmas Episode: The comic "Merry Christmas" is about Motu and Patlu making their own Christmas tree.
- Covers Always Lie: The cover of Motu and Patlu's constitution getting stolen never happens in the actual comic.
- The End: Used on some occasions. One example would be the ending of "Merry Christmas" which has "The End" in the bottom right corner.
- Flying Saucer: In "Motu Patlu and the Flying Saucer", the characters see a UFO designed like a flying saucer.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: The cover of "Motu Patlu and Dreadful Predator" has the characters getting shot by someone in the TV.
- The Maze: In issue 346, Patlu has to get through a maze to find his jet.
- Medium Blending: Issue 346 includes a maze with Patlu. Patlu has a CGI head and a 2D body.
- Name and Name: Without the "and". The title Motu Patlu refers to the main characters Motu and Patlu.
- The Place: "Motu Patlu in Mental Hospital" takes place in the mental hospital.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Has this sometimes. It's Motu or Moto and it's Dr. Jhatka or Dr. Ghatka.
- The Television Talks Back: The cover of "Motu Patlu and Dreadful Predator" has the characters getting shot by someone in the TV.
- Thanking the Viewer: In the ending of "Merry Christmas", the characters wish a merry Christmas to everyone who reads Lotpot, which can be considered a form of thanking them.
- Title Drop: The comic "Merry Christmas" ends with all of the characters saying the phrase.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Motu loves eating samosas. When Motu and Patlu make their own rules, Dr. Jhatka says he will only believe the rules are real if there's a rule against eating samosas.