Misfit City is a comic book series by Kirsten "Kiwi" Smith, Kurt Lustgarten, Naomi Franquiz, and Brittany Peer.
Cannon Cove, Oregon is a small seaside town in the woods. The only real reason to go there is because it was the filming location of an old classic 1980s film, "The Gloomies". Aside from that, it's just another town.
Of course, all that changes for some girls. Macy, who works at the museum that has a few props from the movie. Karma, a hippie-esque girl who believes in spirituality. Dot, a woman of science and reason. And Wilder, a girl with dreams of going to Washington University. Following the death of Captain Adelbert Reed Denby, a chest of his is donated to the museum. Upon opening it, a folded up paper tumbles out, which apparently is a map to the treasure of local legend Black Mary. Finally seeing something interesting that might be happening in their little town, the girls, along with a few close friends like Edwina, a gay friend, and Todd, Macy's brother, decide to go on the hunt.
Of course, it won't be that easy. A couple young relatives of Captain Denby's are rather unhappy about not getting that chest, and the map that leads to the treasure. Undeterred, they start to hunt it down, and deal with anyone who stands in their way.
The comic was released on May 10th, 2017.
Misfit City contains examples of:
- All of the Other Reindeer: Macy, Karma, Wilder, and Dot don't get much respect from their peers.
- Alliterative Name: The town is called Cannon Cove.
- Alpha Bitch: Ally Stenson. Perhaps the best example is how she wastes no time embarrassing the protagonists on social media when they all burst into the bowling alley.
- Car Fu: Millicent and Luther try to run over Macy, Wilder, Edwina, Karma, and Dot in their car at the construction site.
- Crush Blush: Wilder gets this way whenever interacting with Macy's brother, Todd.
- Cutting the Knot: When the girls find that Captain Denby's chest is locked with no key available, Macy decides to smash the padlock off with a sword.
- Defector from Decadence: Black Mary is revealed to be this. She was originally a woman from the town of Newburyport, Massachusetts who married a trader named John Gray, but when she discovered he was willing to kill any Native Americans to get fur and pelts from them, she made off in his ship and became a pirate.
- Faking the Dead: Captain Denby. He faked his death because people wanted to kill him.
- Fanboy: Luther is revealed to be one of Garth Hemming, one of the cast of The Gloomies, to the point that he even knows all his other roles.
- Magnum Opus Dissonance: An In-Universe example with Garth Hemming. While he's most known for his role in The Gloomies, he takes a shine to Luther for knowing the film that Garth seemed to enjoy acting in the most, The Spooky Squad.
- Meaningful Name: The reason the town is called "Cannon Cove" is because it was there that Black Mary and her Tillamook crew fired all their ship's cannons on a Fur Trading ship and sank it.
- Nothing Exciting Ever Happens Here: Cannon Cove. The only reason anyone ever visits is because "The Gloomies" was filmed there back in the 80s.
- Pirate Girl: Black Mary, who buried a treasure somewhere in Cannon Cove.
- Plot-Triggering Death: Captain Denby. His will dictated that the chest that contained his map to Black Mary's treasure be sent to the museum, where the girls find it. Of course, then they discover he isn't dead, but faked it to hide from people who wanted to kill him.