Les Sisters (The Sisters in English) is a French slice-of-life comic book about sisters Wendy and Marine (Maureen in the English translation). It is written by Cazenove and drawn by William Maury, who uses his own two daughters as inspiration.Wendy is 12, and has just begun to discover make-up, boys, and independence. Marine is 6 and idolizes her older sister, while at the same time doing her best to irritate the snot out of her. They are best friends and mortal enemies both - in other words, they are typical sisters.
Occasionally Wendy and Marine dress up and become the indestructible super-heroines "Super-W" and "Super-M", Calvin and Hobbes - style. There is also a spinoff series, Les Super Sisters, dedicated to their adventures in a galaxy far, far away (no, not that one).
The series is tremendously popular in France, with 12 albums and a number of tie-in products made so far. The first two albums, Just Like Family, and Doing it our way have been released in English.
An animated adaptation premiered in France in September of 2017.
The series provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: We never see the faces of the girls' parents, and most of the time they just order them to do boring stuff like cleaning their rooms.
- Amusing Injuries: A frequent source of comedy.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Most of Wendy's problems tend to be caused by Marine.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Marine and Wendy may get on each others nerves alot, Marine especially, but you don't even really need to dig to see that they truly love each other.
- Big Little Sister: Downplayed; as a kid, Marine looks her age, but Time Skip stories show that she'll be as tall as Wendy once she's older.
- Comically Missing the Point: Marine sometimes misunderstands key concepts of her sister's life - such as when she overhears Wendy's friend saying that if her boyfriend didn't give her a present on Valentine's Day, she'd dump him. Marine immediately runs out in the street, kisses a random boy, and tells him to get her a video game for Valentine's day, or she'll dump him.
- Dumb Blonde: While Marine is only 6-years-old, which justifies most of the stupid things she does, one story with a Time Skip to the Sisters when they're older suggests that even as a teen/adult she's still pretty dumb.
- Exact Words: Wendy and Marine's father handed them broom and vacuum cleaner and told them to "clean up this mess". Broom and vacuum cleaner have never been so clean.
- Innocently Insensitive: Marine, at times. For example, after explaining that she'd like to have many babies when she grows up, and put them away in her chest whenever she's done with them for the day, Wendy points out that she can't treat babies like her plush toys.
- It's All About Me: Marine. In one instance, Wendy promises to treat her like every day is her birthday. Marine is overjoyed. Wendy then notes that she won't do it on her own birthday, however, and Marine then calls her selfish and egoistic despite Wendy giving her 364 days out of 365.
- Humongous Mecha: Super-M and Super-W once stopped one from eating the village. In Real Life it was the vacuum cleaner.
- Secret Diary: Wendy has one. Marine is constantly trying to get her hands on it.
- Straight Girl And Wise Girl: Wendy and Marine (although calling her "wise" is pushing it).
- Super-Strong Child: Super-W and Super-M.