Lady Sif is a Marvel Comics superheroine. She is Marvel Universe's Asgardian Goddess of War based on a goddess of the same name from Norse Mythology. She is long-time companion and love interest of The Mighty Thor. She was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, and was first introduced in Journey into Mystery #102 in 1964. Aside from being major supporting character in Thor's comics, she has also made guest appearances in The Avengers, Fantastic Four, New Mutants, and Silver Surfer, among others.
Unlike many other Asgardians, Sif notably has raven black hair instead of golden hair. This is because, when she was a child, Loki was jealous of her long golden hair and cut it, and then replaced it with enchanted black hair made by dwarves.
She's considered one of the best female warriors of Asgard, rivaled only by Brunnhilde the Valkyrie. Also, although Asgardians are typically superhumanly strong, Sif is much stronger than the average Asgardian female.
Besides with Thor, Sif also had a relationship with Beta Ray Bill.
Sif becomes central character in Kathryn Immonen and Valerio Schiti's run for Journey into Mystery that started from November 2012. The series has ended in August 2013 with total 10 issues.
Notable Comic Book appearances
- Angela: Asgard's Assassin
- Beta Ray Bill
- Fear Itself
- The Infinity Gauntlet
- Journey into Mystery
- The Mighty Thor
- Hulk Vs. Thor (2009): Voiced by Grey DeLisle.
- The Super Hero Squad Show (2009-2011): Voiced by Tricia Helfer.
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes! (2010-2013): Voiced by Nika Futterman.
- Thor: Tales of Asgard (2011): Voiced by Tara Strong.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe: Portrayed by Jaimie Alexander.
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance (2006): Appears as NPC. Voiced by Adrienne Barbeau.
- Marvel: Avengers Alliance (2012-present): Appears as recruitable playable hero.
- Marvel Heroes (2013-2017): Appears as an NPC. Voiced by Amy Pemberton.
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (2013): Voiced by Tara Strong.
- Marvel Avengers Alliance Tactics (2014; closed): Appears as playable hero.
- Marvel Future Fight (2015-Present): Appears as a playable character.
- Action Girl: Sif is an excellent combatant and has received extensive training in unarmed combat and swordsmanship, and one of the best warriors of Asgard.
- Adaptational Badass / Xenafication: In Norse Mythology, Lady Sif is a goddess associated with earth, fertility, family, and wedlock. In Marvel Universe, she is an Asgardian War Goddess.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Justified. This version of Sif was born with beautiful long golden hair that is a defining characteristic of the deity she's based on, but Loki cut it off and replaced it with magic black hair. This is actually based on an old Norse myth, but in the myth Sif's magic hair was still golden, until Loki neglected to pay the dwarfs for their work and the hair turned to black.
- Aggressive Submissive: Despite her Boisterous Bruiser and Tsundere-ish relationship with Thor, when the two are finally portrayed in a sexual relationship, she submissively asks Thor if her performance pleases him.
- All Amazons Want Hercules: She's attracted to powerful and noble warriors. This is especially exemplified with Beta Ray Bill, whom she has attraction to despite not being remotely attractive by human standards.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She has greater similarity to 'the grim' than her other boisterious companions.
- Amicable Exes: Beta Ray Bill and Sif, aside from some bickering, in Journey into Mystery. Justified, given that Bill's girlfriend just died.
- Anchored Ship: Sif still has some feelings for Bill, and while they've acknowledged their past relationship, he's astutely devoted to Ti Asha Ra. Sif helps reunite the couple after she saves Lady Gaea from a mysterious infection.
- Badass Cape: She usually wears red cape that matches the sleeves under her armor.
- Badass Family: She is sister of Heimdall, the almost In-Universe Memetic Badass sentinel of Asgard's Rainbow Bridge.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her outfit when she was younger, as seen here◊.
- Battle Couple: Either with Thor or Beta Ray Bill.
- Boisterous Bruiser / Proud Warrior Race Girl: As expected of an Asgardian warrior, she likes to fight and prove her worth in battle.
- Bullying a Dragon: Sif literally does this to a dragon-like creature in Journey into Mystery #646. In #647 there are other examples such as a bar patron attempting to get physical with her, and Sif herself battling her near-Odin level powered brother Heimdall.
- Braids of Action: Her hairstyle, sometimes. Especially when she was younger.
- Chainmail Bikini / Stripperific: This outfit.◊
- Childhood Friend Romance: She and Thor are friends since they were kids. They also have on-off relationship over the time.
- Cool Sword: Sif wields a special sword enchanted by Odin to enable her to cleave passageways between dimensions, primarily between Asgard and Earth, by a special pattern of swinging motions.
- Double Weapon: In Marvel Cinematic Universe, she wields a double-bladed sword. One of the two blades is retractable, allowing for Sif to fight with a single-blade.
- Friends with Benefits: Sif and Thor in Journey into Mystery.
- Full-Frontal Assault: In this panel◊. Partially concealed with Godiva Hair and Censor Shadow, though.
- Lady Legionnaire Wear: Her battle outfits usually consist segmented skirt.
- Lady of War: In some portrayals, she is a distinctive lady-like fighter, rather than a flat out bruiser.
- Last Girl Wins: She was introduced after Jane and some of Thor's other love interests. She's Thor's wife in Norse canon, and becomes his lover or spouse in some storyarcs/alternate continuities as well.
- Leotard of Power: Her outfits, usually covered with segmented skirt for her lower part.
- Lightning Bruiser: She is both superhumanly strong and fast.
- Love Triangle: At various times, she has been in competition with several women for Thor, including Jane Foster and Amora. She's the center of one herself between Thor and Beta Ray Bill.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: She carries shield in a battle, sometimes.
- Master Swordswoman: She is Asgard's finest swordswoman.
- Mercury's Wings: She usually wears a headpiece which looks like a stylized set of wings.
- The Missus and the Ex: In Journey into Mystery, Sif and Jane crack a few puns at Thor's expense when Sif comes to see Jane for medical advice about Lady Gaea.
- Polyamory: When it's not a Love Triangle or Love Dodecahedron, Sif's relationship with Thor goes in this direction. To be specific, Thor typically marries Sif (like in the source myth) but still has numerous concubines (again, like in the source myth).
- Precocious Crush: It's implied in her original appearance that she was only a child the first time she met Thor while he was an adult, but states that she loved him even then. This was later retconned into a Childhood Friend Romance instead.
- Real Women Don't Wear Dresses: She often shows contempt for more "feminine" and non-warrior women. This was especially the case when she was younger, as she was rather insecure. She has also done it to mock some of Thor's girlfriends, when her jealousy got the better of her.
- Satellite Love Interest: Compared to other well-developed side characters like the Warriors Three, surprisingly little has been done with Sif over the years. She has little story purpose aside from hanging around Thor, moping about missing Thor, waiting for Thor, jealous over Thor's interest in another mortal, or going after a Thor lookalike like Beta Ray Bill or Thunderstrike. Her story is explored considerably better in Kathryn Immonen and Valerio Schiti's run for Journey into Mystery, however.
- Sharing a Body: She had to share one body with Jane Foster for a while.
- She Is All Grown Up: Many interpretations of her relationship with Thor have the two of them parting ways at some point before or during adolescence and meeting again as adults and Thor being stunned by her beauty. In her first appearance, the two of them were radically different ages (Thor was an adult and she was a child when the first met), so he is stunned to see the lovely woman and strong warrior that Sif grew up into.
- She's Got Legs: Thanks to most of her outfit of choice.
- The Snark Knight: 'Berserker' Sif in Journey into Mystery loves to tear into foes verbally as well as physically.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Most of her outfits.
- Superhero Gods: Although unlike Thor, Valkyrie, and Angela; she doesn't join any superhero team and mostly fights for or in Asgard. But she does have her moments in Midgard (Earth).
- Super Strength: Typically, Asgardian females are physically inferior to males. Sif, however, is just as powerful as the average Asgardian man and can lift 30 tons.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Sif has, by birthright, the power to transverse time and space, and travel faster than the speed of thought by piercing the fabrics of Infinity and travel to any destination she chooses. Sif can also use her enchanted sword to teleport herself to other dimensions beside Earth and Asgard
- War Goddess: She is Asgardian Goddess of War.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: A big theme in Sif's first arc in Journey into Mystery, thanks to the Berserker Spell power up she gets in the first issue.
- Would Hurt a Child: The 'Berserker' Sif in Journey into Mystery.