Written by Richard Meyer with art by Jon Malin (pencils), Brett Smith (color), and Ethan Van Sciver (cover and additional art), Jawbreakers: Lost Souls is an indie one-shot graphic novel that focuses on a retired team of ex-superheroes who now find work as mercenaries. While in Africa, the group is hired to combat a giant gorilla monster and things only get crazier from there.
Jawbreakers: Lost Souls was available to fund on Indiegogo in 2018 and held for a few months the record for a crowdfunded comic book, raising the then-unthinkable sum of over $400,000. The final amount covered several times over the original goal, and the finished product was shipped to the project backers in February and March of 2019. Other than this, the most notable thing about the comic is the mountain of controversy surrounding it (see trivia section).
To be followed by Jawbreakers: Gød-K1ng, currently in production phase and being funded on Indiegogo.
Jawbreakers: Lost Souls contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Xaxi is shown carrying and sharpening a spear and accompanies the Jawbreakers on a mission. It's currently unknown if she has any powers herself or if she is a Badass Normal.
- Anti-Hero: Most of the main characters are ex-superhero mercenaries who are not afraid to get their hands dirty.
- Ascended Extra: Averted. After the positive reception Xaxi had with his fans, Meyer announced he had reworked the script to make her a central part of the plot instead of just a one-off character meant to provide exposition and Fanservice. However, the fans then got worried she would distract from what is supposed to be a simple but fun comic about a G.I.Joe-like team fighting a giant gorilla, so Meyer cut her character once again. Although she still has a bigger role than in the original script.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: There is a giant gorilla monster that serves as the main focus of the comic.
- Badass Crew: The main characters are all ex-super heroes now working as mercenaries.
- Badass Gay: One of the main protagonists Devil Dog himself, as he is a badass and he has sexual feelings for a sentient male gorilla
- Eye Scream: At one point a giant gorilla monster has its eye knocked out.
- Gorn: The comic gets pretty violent at times with lots of blood, severed limbs and more. Not to mention what happens to the Big Bad...
- Hard Light: Silkworm has the power to generate objects made of this, which he uses to save some of the Jawbreakers from falling to their deaths.
- Laser Blade: Knife-Hand has the power to create blades of energy with his hands, naturally.
- Manly Gay: Again, Devil Dog. So manly, he could be mistaken for straight until the end where he is revealed to be in a romantic relationship with a sentient male gorilla.
- Ms. Fanservice: Xaxi, whose outfit consists of a few thin strips of cloth and some jewelry. The author himself seems to have taken notice of this and made a poster featuring her one of the backer rewards.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Most of the Jawbreakers have cool and/or threatening sounding names. You've got Hellpriest, Devil Dog, Kuffz, Knife-Hand, and Kill-Switch. Humorously, their leader goes by the comparatively mundane and unassuming name of Silkworm.
- Stripperiffic: Xaxi's outfit, of course. It's basically just a few thin strips of cloth covering her naughty bits.
- Stuffed into the Fridge: Happens to Xaxi near the end.
- Sunglasses at Night: At least a few of the characters can be seen rockin' their cool shades at night. (Just look at that cover up there for an example.)
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Kuffz.