How Loathsome is a comic series by Ted Naifeh and Tristan Crane. It features androgynous Catherine Gore, a heroin addict living in the Bay Area. Also appearing are her drug dealer friend Nick, fellow junkie Alex, and a host of other colorful characters. We see Catherine fall for transgender party girl Chloe, try to kick her habit, and get picked up by an elegant goth couple.
How Loathsome contains examples of the following tropes:
- Bifauxnen: Main character Catherine.
- But Not Too Bi: Catherine is primarily interested in women but doesn't turn down a threesome with a male / female couple.
- Drag Queen: Chloe performs as a drag queen. Several other drag kings and queens appear.
- Going Cold Turkey: Catherine and Alex try to kick heroin. They don't succeed.
- Goth: One of the stories takes place at a goth club. Several characters fall into this category.
- Incompatible Orientation: Nick is initially uninterested in Chloe because of her being transgender, but he changes his mind. Chloe turns down Catherine eventually because she's "just not a lesbian."
- Transgender: Chloe.
- Very Loosely Based on a True Story: Performance artist and writer Danielle Willis was able to tell immediately that Catherine is based on her. She was not offended and wrote the introduction to the hardcover.